Secondary air tube keeps falling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tommytech1

Nov 15, 2023
SoCal
I have a Brass Flame wood stove insert. The secondary air tube in the front of the stove falls out constantly. Is it supposed to be welded or screwed into place? I bought it in early 2000's, it had EPA numbers on the door an supposedly two "afterburner" chambers in the top. When everything cools I place it back up where it belongs, it just doesn't stay there long. What should I do?

Not all wood stoves use the same method for attaching the secondary air tubes. Some pictures would be helpful. Your stove is new enough I would think the tubes were made to be replaced. Some are attached by screws other a bushing with a pin and some have nothing holding except a nice tight fit. If it is easy to access the tube you could put it in place and put in a self taping screw on the end with a power driver to hold it in place.

Reactions: Tommytech1
Not all wood stoves use the same method for attaching the secondary air tubes. Some pictures would be helpful. Your stove is new enough I would think the tubes were made to be replaced. Some are attached by screws other a bushing with a pin and some have nothing holding except a nice tight fit. If it is easy to access the tube you could put it in place and put in a self taping screw on the end with a power driver to hold it in place.
Yes, in my case a "nice tight fit". The left side slides in easy and I wasn't looking at the right side, I just pushed it back until it stopped. On closer examination, it was only going on part way and not channeling the air properly. I had to push up the top plates and push past some carbon on the right channel. It's fully seated now and channeling air again. Hope this helps someone else too.