1989 Blaze King KEJ1101 catalyst secondary air tube ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

loganlewis12

Dec 6, 2023
MT
Wondering if anyone has knowledge of the old catalytic Blaze King stoves from late 80s? Am new to the forum and tried to message BKVP directly but would not work.
I have Blaze King KEJ1101 catalyst stove manufactured in 1989. The other night while burning a fire the secondary air tube broke off of its welds and fell into the firebox. I was going to take to a welder to have them tack it back together for me. But there is one part that was in firebox I’m not sure where it would go. I have looked all over the place for diagrams or pictures of what the air tube should look like from all angles but have had no success.
Looks like this has been welded back together before so maybe it is just a piece they used to get it back together.
But I know the piece with handle goes on the end and attaches to bolt and hole. I am wondering about the other oval shaped part. Is it supposed to go on top of the air tube holes? Like in between the tube and cat combustor?

Thanks for the help! IMG_8260.jpegIMG_8259.jpeg

The little oval sit atop the two holes at the end of the tubes. It sits above the holes with a 3/16" or so gap, It keeps the incoming air from hitting the face of the combustor.

No parts are available...so repair is your only option.

BKVP

Thank you. Just like this correct?
And also, I don’t plan on running without this pipe but would it be harmful to run the stove without this pipe hooked up? Or would it basically just use more wood than normal

IMG_8273.jpeg

Yes on orientation and the stove won't burn worth a darn without...

BKVP

Reactions: loganlewis12
Bad news is welder wasn’t very confident he could save the air pipe but will try next week.
Hopefully he can make it work.

But decided to bite the bullet and purchased a KE40 this afternoon. That escalated quickly!

Now I’ve just got to decide how I want to upgrade my old single wall stovepipe. Looking to do something convenient to have a sort of disconnect for ease of cleaning. Just read about the telescoping pipe that could work. Any suggestions?

IMG_8291.jpeg

That looks an awful lot like the galvanized pipe used on the output of furnaces, not stove pipe. Also, what's the material against which it's leaning. Single wall pipe requires 18" clearance to combustible surfaces.

I honestly don’t know if it’s galvanized or not. Whole setup was like this when I purchased home. Not sure how to even tell if galvanized besides being able to smell?
I am obviously a novice when it comes to catalytic wood stoves and stove pipe as I just began to dig into this when the stove broke.

The material it is leaning against or by is concrete so it is non combustible. The pipe is also leaning because of pulling the stove out to get all the info off the back of the stove.

Obviously when I do the new pipe job I want it much cleaner and want to have a stationary piece where it enters the chimney to alleviate the pipe being able to move like that.

It’s not silver. All of existing pipe is 24 gauge single wall stove pipe.
Which tells me it’s not galvanized comparing to stuff at hardware stores.
Not ideal pipe I know but should be alright to use until I figure out a more permanent solution correct?

Note that uninsulated basement wall soak up heat like a sponge. About a third of the heat created by the stove will head out the walls to the surrounding earth. That's one cord in 3 donated to heat outdoors.

Note that uninsulated basement wall soak up heat like a sponge. About a third of the heat created by the stove will head out the walls to the surrounding earth. That's one cord in 3 donated to heat outdoors.
Esp. if using a radiant stove. Can be improved with a jacketed convective stove, but still never a great situation.

Wondering if anyone has knowledge of the old catalytic Blaze King stoves from late 80s? Am new to the forum and tried to message BKVP directly but would not work.
I have Blaze King KEJ1101 catalyst stove manufactured in 1989. The other night while burning a fire the secondary air tube broke off of its welds and fell into the firebox. I was going to take to a welder to have them tack it back together for me. But there is one part that was in firebox I’m not sure where it would go. I have looked all over the place for diagrams or pictures of what the air tube should look like from all angles but have had no success.
Looks like this has been welded back together before so maybe it is just a piece they used to get it back together.
But I know the piece with handle goes on the end and attaches to bolt and hole. I am wondering about the other oval shaped part. Is it supposed to go on top of the air tube holes? Like in between the tube and cat combustor?

Thanks for the help!View attachment 320254View attachment 320255
I am here in Idaho Falls just picked on of these stoves up and am not going to keep it. It will be posted on marketplace soon.