Pine Chips for free? ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave K

Burning Hunk
Sep 26, 2013
Sussex County, NJ
Found these free Pine Chips. Can they be used for kindling in my pre-EPA stove? Can I assume they are dried, or will they have a lot of moisture still in them?

Hopefully I can get a reply to this thread before I have to go pick them up. Thanks guys!

pinechips.JPG

pine chips.......another word for mulch? I would think the stove wouldn't be picky but if they aren't dry, they might be hard to start. I'd get some old canning paraffin and try and making a couple small bricks to use starting the fire....similar to the fire starters we often use.

The description just said "Pine Chips" and showed a pic of these bags. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I wanted to jump at 2500lbs for free in case they'd be okay to burn.

If it hasn't been dried before bagging, those bags would turn into a big ball of fuzz in short order.

Something makes me think those are bags of shavings from a shop. They were probably milled from lumber are bone dry.

Reactions: Jon1270
Something makes me think those are bags of shavings from a shop. They were probably milled from lumber are bone dry.

Thats what I was thinking. If thats the case, they should be good to burn, right!?

Thats what I was thinking. If thats the case, they should be good to burn, right!?

Oh - they will burn...somewhere between the rate of gasoline and crumpled newspaper.

Oh - they will burn...somewhere between the rate of gasoline and crumpled newspaper.

So I could be at risk for a chimney fire if I'm not careful. I was thinking of just using a handful to help start a cold stove. I do not have a lot of good, dry kindling.

Using it in the manor that you speak should not be an issue. Dumping half a bag on an established fire - you will have an issue.;)

So I could be at risk for a chimney fire if I'm not careful. I was thinking of just using a handful to help start a cold stove. I do not have a lot of good, dry kindling.

Just make sure it is more along the lines of shavings and not fine dust. One bag should easily be enough for a year of cold starts. (I think the place wants someone with a barn to come get it all for horse bedding.)

Thanks all. I still haven't heard back from them so maybe someone else snatched them up. Oh well.

You can use it that way without any problem. You would probably only need one or two bags to get through a winter.

To be at risk of a chimney fire would mean your chimney needs cleaning now. But to use that for firewood would not seem to be a great idea to me. Better to use it as mulch.

Status
Not open for further replies.