Pine????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jclout

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2007
Southbridge, Massachusetts
Hay guys I thought burning pine created way too much creosote. Can you burn it regularly? and if you can, do you have to clean your chimney more often?

Stove Nut

Pine is fine to burn, just as with any wood make sure its dry. may not produce the most heat and is a little weak for overnight burns but for a quick warm up or short fire its fine

Thats pretty much all I can burn here other than poplar & (birch trucked from 200 miles away.) Run the stove 24/7 on it along with 30,000 other people in the north. If that helps ya. With the new Cat I clean it once a year weather it needs it or not. Minimum 8 monthes burning.

PROPERLY SEASONED pine creates no more creosote in a modern stove than any other wood. It doesn't have the same BTUs / pound as hardwoods like oak, and it tends to want to burn faster and hotter so you won't get as much burning time out of it as hardwoods, but it's good fuel. Many folks that have a choice prefer it for "shoulder season" burns, saving the high BTU woods for colder weather. There are also many for whom it is the primary fuel that burn it all season with no problems.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
It doesn't have the same BTUs / pound as hardwoods like oak, and it tends to want to burn faster and hotter so you won't get as much burning time out of it as hardwoods, but it's good fuel.
Gooserider

All wood has the same BTU content per pound Goose.

Because the the stigma that pine has, it's easy to come by free. I've had people deliver me free pine because they don't want to pay for disposal. I tell them I"ll take it. Delivered, cut, free, and in need of only splitting is my kind of wood.

Mike Wilson said:
Go to Advanced Search and enter “Burn Pine” in the query box, then change the search parameters to only search thread titles. There are about 5 threads that have a lot of information on burning pine in them.

-- Mike
I tried it a couple of times again this AM with my Mac (ibook)- doesen't work there either- (was using the house PC last night when I posted)

Someone else try it- and post here again- want to know if it's just me, of some sort of search problem.

Thank U.

Oop's Last post looked mis-leading after I posted it.

Mike- Advanced search does work-
It's the "Read this Please" redirector that does not work (for me)

Being from the Northeast I have always thought pine=bad. This board has made me see that people burn it all the time. Guess I've got some more splitting to do now as I have about two cord in rounds I was just going to use for outside fires.

PINE

It's Not Just For Building Cabins Anymore

north of 60 said:
Thats pretty much all I can burn here other than poplar & (birch trucked from 200 miles away.) Run the stove 24/7 on it along with 30,000 other people in the north. If that helps ya. With the new Cat I clean it once a year weather it needs it or not. Minimum 8 monthes burning.
What type of pine do you have in Yukon Canada?

BrotherBart said:
Gooserider said:
It doesn't have the same BTUs / pound as hardwoods like oak, and it tends to want to burn faster and hotter so you won't get as much burning time out of it as hardwoods, but it's good fuel.
Gooserider

All wood has the same BTU content per pound Goose.

Sorry, Me bad... :red: meant to say BTU / VOLUME...

Gooserider

You guys are great! I will try the search the next good chance I get. Thanks for all the info!!!!

Pine-not so bad after all.
stove nut

jpl1nh said:
north of 60 said:
What type of pine do you have in Yukon Canada?

Very technical (Yukon lodgepole pine & jack pine.) Thats what the locals call it. Not probably a true arborist term.

WarmGuy said:
I've been told never to burn eucalyptus for the same reason (creosote) -- any truth to that??

Eucalyptus bark, maybe. I'm burning the wood this year, for the first time (having burned pine and cypress the previous ten years), and I gotta tell ya... this stuff burns with a blue flame. I won't know for awhile whether I'm seeing more flue build-up (fluffy dark grey kind), but if I do, you can knock me over with a feather... this seems to burn like a very clean hardwood. They originally imported the tree to make charcoal with, didn't they? (Or was that railroad ties, I forget.)

Eddy

EddyKilowatt said:
WarmGuy said:
I've been told never to burn eucalyptus for the same reason (creosote) -- any truth to that??

Eucalyptus bark, maybe. I'm burning the wood this year, for the first time (having burned pine and cypress the previous ten years), and I gotta tell ya... this stuff burns with a blue flame. I won't know for awhile whether I'm seeing more flue build-up (fluffy dark grey kind), but if I do, you can knock me over with a feather... this seems to burn like a very clean hardwood. They originally imported the tree to make charcoal with, didn't they? (Or was that railroad ties, I forget.)

Eddy

Far as I know, there are NO natural woods that one shouldn't burn because of their effects on a modern stove or it's chimney. A modern secondary combustion stove, cat or non-cat should be able to handle the smoke, etc. from any of them.

Obviously this does not apply to chemically treated woods, such as pressure treated, plywood, particle board, and other such woods that can cause noxious fumes, and may poison the cat in a cat stove. There have been some concerns raised about lumber scraps as they MAY contain various chemicals from the way the logs were handled or things added in the lumber milling process.

Pallets, lumber scraps and the like also need to be watched closely to avoid over-firing.

There ARE "woods" that one should not burn however as they are toxic - This would obviously include things like Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac, and other "don't touch" plants. In addition, I've seem some people report problems burning "exotic" type woods such as IPE, and some of the other rainforest hardwoods (usually gotten as construction scraps) as they may cause allergic reactions...

*I* haven't seen anything relating to eucalyptus specifically in this regard, but seeing as how there are herbal / medicinal uses for some varieties of eucalyptus, I wouldn't be totally shocked to hear that there were medical reasons to avoid it, at least for some folks.

Gooserider

Hi WarmGuy,

I live in Australia - where pretty much all we have growing is Eucalyptus Gum. I burn about 5-6 tonne of this kind of woof every year. The key to this wood is to season it for around 6 months if possible. That way you don't get creosote build up in the flue or chimney and it burns clean and hot with little or no smoke and very little ash left behind after the burn. The thing about this kind of wood that I love is although you need to take care to build your fire by putting on sticks, then 2' inch thick smaller logs, then build up the coals to get a good heat sinc that will maintain a blazing hot fire that burns with BIG logs. Once you have this established the heat output is massive: 34.5 million BTU per cord (see http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/heating_cooling/firewood.html). This is due to the fact that this kind of wood is a hardwood and the heartwood and sapwood is VERY dense. This wood also has a high oil content and burns like it's dipped in petrol.

I thoroughly recommend burning this kind of wood and would only say that you get an excellent heat per volume out of this excellent fuel. It is advisable to split when green as the moisture does help when breaking it up with a maul (or we call them Block splitters here in Oz).

Hope that helps!

Happy heating,

WoodsmanDan.

Stove Nut said:
You guys are great! I will try the search the next good chance I get. Thanks for all the info!!!!

Pine-not so bad after all.
stove nut

Here people can't give pine away and it is referred to as campfire wood.. I only use a little and generally just as a firestarter.. There is so much hardwood around here I see no reason to use it.. I too discovered that many have no choice but to burn pine and they do fine with it however they tend to have a heavier denser pine than the white pine which is prevalent here.. The little pine that I have used tends to get attacked quickly by beetles etc. so get it split and stacked off the ground quickly...

Ray

pine is fine for sure, i currently have 2 small rows i plan on using as quick fire starter stuff. im sure to find more this summer and will no doubt finely split as much as i can find. as with all wood i season it the same and honor it for its given value .

Status
Not open for further replies.