Pipe Arrangement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

I pulled my stove piping apart to clean and I'm a little confused.

From the stove to the chimney I have a double wall expanding length pipe.

Now the common sense in me would think that the part where the pipe slides together, you would have it going with the flow of the gases and not against. So smaller pipe is on bottom and bigger ones is on top.

Sorry I can't explain better but I think that makes sense?

Well my setup has the bigger pipe on the bottom and smaller pipe to the top. Is that ok? Pro install but that doesn't mean anything.

Oh yeah, 4 months of burning and I had about 2 cups of chit come out of the pipe, so not bad at all!

its like that so the creostle drips down into stove instead of out of pipe and all over.

male pipe goes into female stove

and so on up to the chimney

Nate, go to page 18 in your manual. There's a very good illustration of the proper pipe orientation on that page.
Most stove manuals have that same info.

Guess that makes sense. Just seems to me that it hurts flow and causes a place for junk to collect. I am thinking with a plumbers mind though i guess.

Trust me Nate, I hear ya' on that. Brother is an HVAC/Plumber for almost 30 years and I've worked with him since '95.
I understand. The whole point of the pipe being male down is so that any creo will drip back into the stove and burn rather than leaking out all over the outside of the pipe.
The stovepipe in my setup was male up when I got here, with signs of creo on the outside of the pipe. That got changed out by me to male down. All's good.

I think some of what needs to be cleared up with flowing air is Bernoulli's principal. The short version is that the air inside your chimney is moving so it has a lower pressure than the air outside your chimney. that means that the air isn't gonna exit out any of those little holes on the connections, but instead MIGHT suck a little air in (you still want to minimize this if possible).

Now, if something happens to clog or restrict the flow inside your chimney substantially then you might get puffs out those cracks, but at that point the stove itself would be smoking, so you'd be more worried about that anyway.

flowing creosote, however, isn't effected by any of that, so it drips right out those cracks if gravity lets it.

That's correct, air will get sucked in any openings at the pipe joints as long as there's a draft. If the chimney flow is restricted, as in a clogged cap, smoke will come out the chimney joints no matter which direction they're going.

Dont feel left out. I've been asked that question at least once a month every month for 26...erp, I guess its 27 years now..So thats 300+ people in NY who use the same logic as you do. And your logic makes sense. In fact, I'm pretty sure that before stoves started bein creosote factories back in the mid 70s, the desired method of install was female end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.