1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pipe conversion

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by claybe, Feb 9, 2013.

1. claybe

claybe Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Colorado
    I bought an Earth Stove pellet stove today. I have a 6 inch liner already installed where I want the stove to go. I need to convert the 4 inch liner to the 6 inch I have installed. I found a few 15 dollar options that are not stainless steel. Can I use this? Or do I have to use the more expensive stainless options?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    You don't have to use stainless. Stainless will fight rust better and is generally more maintenance free that way. What are you using though?
  3. Thaddius Wenderoth

Thaddius Wenderoth Feeling the Heat

$15!!!! My 6" to 3" adapter was $45. I am jealous!
  4. claybe

claybe Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Colorado
  5. brack86svo

brack86svo New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    That will rust and even rot out over time. If this reducer is easy to get to, it might be worth it. If it's a pain to get to, you might as well spring for the better part.
  6. claybe

claybe Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Colorado
  7. brack86svo

brack86svo New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    The second one is the one you need. It being double wall will help keep it from rusting. The single wall black pipe eventually rusts from the combination of heat and condensation. The heat can compromise the finish over time and lead to the pipe rusting. The double wall doesn't get the outside pipe hot enough to break down the finish.
    I'm not sure if I explained it right but, the ultimate "it should not rust" is right.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest