1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pipe Insulation Question

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by dogwood, Jun 14, 2010.

1. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    I need to purchase pipe insulation for 1 1/2" black iron pipe for the supply and returns to my Solo Innova and storage tank. My local vendor does not carry that size. I believe the pipe's outside diameter is 1 7/8 ". Does anybody know a a supplier I could order this from, preferably with reasonable prices. I'll be needing 100 or more feet. All the pipe will be indoors either in the boiler room or in the attic for the most part, nothing buried.

Also, I notice there are different types of pipe insulation. I've seen a black rubbery kind, and another kind that looks like yellow fiberglass with a white covering. and maybe other types. What should I be looking for? Is one type preferable to another? Is there an insulation (R?) value, or thickness, I should be shooting for? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!