Pipe length equivalent or K value for PEX fittings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwschiller

Jan 30, 2011
Freedom, NH
I have found all of the information on the Internet that I need for calculating head loss at different flow rates through different diameters of PEX, PEX-AL-PEX, and copper and I have found tables which show pipe length equivalents for a variety of copper fitting and valves, but I can't seem to find data for PEX and PEX-AL-PEX fittings. Does anyone know where to find pipe length equivalents or K values for PEX and PEX-AL-PEX fittings?

The PEX-AL-PEX compression fittings in particular appear to have a very small I.D., relative to the pipe size. I wonder whether a 1" Uponor ProPEX expansion fitting has as big of an I.D. as a 1" PEX-AL-PEX fitting?

I am going to have about a 60' underground PEX run and need to pass up 40K BTUs/hour through that underground loop. Using regular O2 barrier PEX for the underground runs and adding the pipe length equivalents for all of the 1-1/4" and 1" copper, black pipe, valves, and fittings (but not PEX fittings), gives me the following points the Grundfos 15-58 pump curves:
12.7' head @ 6.4 gpm (high setting)
10.1' head @ 5.6 gpm (medium setting)
5.8' head @ 4.1 gpm (low setting)

That seems perfectly adequate for my heat load, but should I be concerned with the head loss due to the PEX fittings? I have a Watts crimp tool for the Oetiker style SS ear rings, I can rent a ProPex expansion tool (for up to 1") for $25 per day, or I can use compression fittings. 1-1/4" PEX seems like overkill for my application and the far greater cost of 1-1/4" PEX, fittings, and tools makes it seem like a poor choice. Moving up to larger I.D. 1" PEX-AL-PEX certainly would seem to compensate for its rather restrictive fittings.

One more question, Do ordinary PEX-AL-PEX compression fittings work with Uponor MultiCor (MLC) PEX-AL-PEX, or do you need to use the Uponor fittings which I think require a $3000 tool when you get up to the 1" size?

Pete Schiller

I found the pipe length equivalents for ProPex fittings at: http://www.uponor-usa.com/~/media/Files/Technical Documents/PDAM_P1_3 08.aspx?sc_lang=en

Pipe length equivalents for HeatLink press fittings are at:
www.heatlink.ca/.../L3235-HeatLink-Potable-Water-System-Installation- Guide-2010-07-05.pdf

They are far less than I expected them to be. A 1" ProPex brass coupling has an equivalent length of only 0.2'. A 1" HeatLink coupling has an equivalent length of 1.3', still fairly negligible and far lower than I expected.

I haven't found any data for PEX-AL-PEX fittings yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.