Pipe placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireboss1237

Nov 25, 2015
Dillsburg PA
I've ran my Fireboss for 3 seasons and figured it was time for pipe replacement. Some questions trying to get better draft. Someone suggested I go from 7" to 6" diameter piping and reduce the travel distance to the flue. So I still have the same amount of turns but they will be more direct and the first turn will be 45 instead of a 90 and the smoke can travel at an upward angle instead of running flat. Anyway question can I have a elbow right off the stove discharge. I have flame arrestor welded in so it will do catch full flame. And also do I need to run my last section of pipe far back into the flue or can I just use a reducer straight to the flue.

PS yes I need to do some cleaning up. This is pre sweep and cleaning l.
20181115_135821.jpg
20181115_135741.jpg
20181115_135733.jpg
20181115_140552.jpg
20181115_135821.jpg
20181115_135741.jpg
20181115_135733.jpg
20181115_140552.jpg

I should note that my previous setup was only different in the fact I had a 6-7" reducer on top. So the elbow now is only about 6 inches closer to the stove discharge.

I should note that my previous setup was only different in the fact I had a 6-7" reducer on top. So the elbow now is only about 6 inches closer to the stove discharge.
Ok first off take the grate out of your stove it doesnt brlong there. Then go back to 7". Getting rid of 90s is a good thing but all changing to 6" will do is make a choke point and then the exhaust will expand and cool as it enters the 7x7 liner.

Ok first off take the grate out of your stove it doesnt brlong there. Then go back to 7". Getting rid of 90s is a good thing but all changing to 6" will do is make a choke point and then the exhaust will expand and cool as it enters the 7x7 liner.
Well the 6inch is staying for the time being, already paid for it, and the only place that carries 7" wants an arm and a leg. What about the elbow being so close to the stove discharge

Well the 6inch is staying for the time being, already paid for it, and the only place that carries 7" wants an arm and a leg. What about the elbow being so close to the stove discharge
It will make the reduction cause even more problems

Ok, that may be and if it becomes a problem I'll suck it up and by new 7". But can you answer my 2 questions about the elbow and do I need an extension into the flue itself.