Pipe slope

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xpertpc

Hearth Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Western Kentucky
I have an existing stove that has been in place for about 20 years (previous owners) I have only been here for one winter and all worked fine last season.

The question is that the pipe from the stove to the chimney slopes backwards about 2 inches in 3 feet, when I saw that I taped all the seams with muffler tape but know that isn't right and want to redo it but that will take a bunch of wall and concrete modifications.

How bad or unsafe would it be to continue to run a stove with a back pitch, when I peek down the chimney it is clean and so is the 3 foot exit pipe, it does go from a 6" pipe to a 8" off center adapter after the 3' run.

I burned most of last season without noticing it and taped it up in March, next year when I redo the roof it will exit straight up.

Well, I'll bump the question.

It is unortadox by today's standards but face it, 20 years ago people didn't have access to all this information.

Don't feel bad about the muffler tape. Everybody understands you was just doing something about the situation. I can see myself doing the same thing in your case.

Since it has been there all this time and worked fine last season it would be hard to just out right condem the set up just on the description.

Could you post some pictures of it? With all these people here somebody may have an idea to improve the situation that will make it until you re-do the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.