Pipe/tubing identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caramon311

Dec 18, 2018
BLUF: Is this PEX tubing? I have not seen red PEX with a black interior before.

So I have been battling a leaky sillcock for a couple weeks, utterly unable to disassemble the faucet itself even with the help of a torch, so was just going to replace the entire sillcock, however whoever initially installed it used a model of sillcock I have been unable to find at Lowe's or Home Depot (the sillcock and hose adapter are a single unit). My current intention is to use a SharkBite sillcock, but I am unsure if it is actually compatible with this pipe. None of the PEX I have seen has a black interior like this line has.
Second, follow-up question, if the sharkbite doesn't work or is ill-advised, could I get away with using a normal hose clamp on a barbed hose adapter/threaded sillcock setup? I have seen that they are not really recommended on lex tubing, but this seems to be more rubberized (maybe?) than plastic which I figured would be more amenable to being hose clamped.

Any insight and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1545151705854773363693580580477.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the sharkbite oring seals on the outside of the pipe I don't think you would ever get a good seal on that scratchy stub.

The black part looks like regular PE, also known as HDPE. Never seen the red coating.

How was the old sillcock fastened?

The old sillcock had a copper crimp ring, not sure I have the clearance to even get the crimping tool in between a new sillcock and the plastic utility box around the faucet.

House is a new construction, 2 years old, with a slab foundation.

I use sharkbites all the time.. Only one that has ever leaked was pushed by the frost under ground. Pulled it off cleaned it and still working good.. To me it looks like their is enough room for a barb and crimp..

If everything does not match just right those sharkbite's will blow off. Got the T shirt due to a less than well informed sales person at local hardware store. There are multiple types of sharkbites depending on aplication.