piping of storage tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hyfire

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2013
Ont, Canada
Question, I have a few 80 gal storage tanks and a 119 gal tank, should I pipe them in series or parallel? I am feeding a single tanks now with 1" pex about 100 ft away approx 7-8 GPM The tanks are in the basement

Hopefully some more experienced will chime in, but I would pipe them in series to keep the water as hot as possible
Then draw heat off in the opposite direction so you're always getting water from the hottest tank

My tanks are fed the hot water into parallel system.Feeds tee off into tank B then ends in tank A
Return tees into tank A and ends in tank B
The feed for my house comes from the main line from the boiler to storage,i have a pump that draws from the feed line and pushes through my HX.I have an aquastate on the feed line.If the temp is to cold the pump stops and my backup boiler kicks in.
The main feed line to storage has it's own pump.

You said a few... How many? I have two, 500's I did in parallel. Part of my thinking was if one ever got a leak, I just valve it out and can deal with it at my convenience.

Thanks, I will
You said a few... How many? I have two, 500's I did in parallel. Part of my thinking was if one ever got a leak, I just valve it out and can deal with it at my convenience.
I have 3 80s and one 119 gal . Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Question, I have a few 80 gal storage tanks and a 119 gal tank, should I pipe them in series or parallel? I am feeding a single tanks now with 1" pex about 100 ft away approx 7-8 GPM The tanks are in the basement

What does your distribution in your house look like? If you are running from 100' away I am guessing you have a OWB that you pump constantly?

This is the 1st season with , its an indoor wood boiler in a metal building out the back. The pipe is 1" logstor pex which about the same inside dia. of 1" copper. Do you think I will see delta Ts of 30-40 degrees in that range? Then I will do reverse parallel return with balancing valves on the return since I am dealing with 4 tanks in different areas of the basement and run 1" pex from a manifold to each tank.