Pittsburgh area wood supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt7546

Sep 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
After years of dreaming of heating with wood we took the plunge and had a Hampton HI300 wood insert installed this week. I was able to gather (for free) three cords of locust in April and a cord or two of cherry in June. I've been watching Craigslist for realistic ads for free wood and was able to get another cord and a half of locust this weekend. I doubt any of this wood will be ready for this winter but i'm well on my way for the 2011 season. I've read many posts from western PA and it seems that most folks go through 4 to 6 cords a season.

My question is does anyone in the area know of a reputable wood dealers that have properly seasoned wood? Does it sound like I have a shot of any of my current wood being ready this year (its all cut/split/stacked)? And what price should I expect to pay per cord this year?.

And since i'm totally new to this, any other thoughts or suggestions would be a great help.

I'm from the Pitts area originally. (AK now)
Finding well seasoned wood now is going to be tough.
Best thing to have when you shop may be a moisture meter & an axe. Split a piece & check moisture.
If the stove is not a catalytic, you may get by with some slab wood, since it's thin.
Get some hardwood pallets & mix that wood with what you have in a pinch.
Good luck.

Thanks Dave, I'll try that.

If you split and stacked in a decent location the locust and cherry you gathered this spring, I think it may be the best wood you'll find. 4 to 6 cords sounds like a lot of wood to burn. Unless you are using wood as the main heating source, I think your 4.5 cords of locust and cherry from the spring should be enough.

I don't buy wood, but it seems most people who do buy wood here ( near State College, PA) buy loads of logs. I have heard $600 for a load that yields 4 to 6 cords or more (I think most guys don't really take time to calculate exactly how much wood they got) is the local price. We are surrounded by forest with logs trucks a pretty common sight on local roads, so logs might be cheaper here than in Pittsburgh.

If your locust was split and stacked in a nice spot loosely stacted it might be ready. It has the drying characteristics of ash except higher btu's.

It you have to burn a type of wood that isn't completely seasoned, locust is the one to burn! It actually has a decent BTU output when green. You should be good to go with it. The cherry, on the other hand, probably won't be best unit next year.

FYI. I'm from the Pittsburgh area and burnt about 6 chords last year and wood is my only source of heat.

Check Craig's list for wood. There's a guy from Upper St. Clair that says he as free wood, but you have to cut it up yourself. I think he said he well help, though.

Some good info here.
I knew the Guru's would chime in & solve the problem.

I didn't know that about "Locust" . Good Tip!!!
We did burn it & use it for fences post when I was down there.
As I remember it was hard to cut with the bow saw & hard to drive a nail into when dry.

sgt7546 said:
And since i'm totally new to this, any other thoughts or suggestions would be a great help.

Good points on the Locust and Cherry already mentioned. I'll just throw in a suggestion to get next years wood now and get it stacked loosely off the ground with exposure to wind and sun (ideally)

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the good information, 'specially about the locust.

I did email the CL guy from USC about a week ago when he first posted with no response.
I did see a second one on last night in the south hills and am awaiting a call back.

As for my current wood supply, all of it is stacked on pallets, most of it was tarped on the top only all summer.
I have room for atleast 15 cords or so and fully plan to fill that area with wood as it presents itself.

HI SGT7546, I live in Pittsburgh (moon area, where are you) and I can help you out. Being a member here you know I am serious and I have some really good stuff (Oak, Cherry, Beech, Ash, Maple and Hickory)and a Moisture Meter Truck and Trailer. If you need some now, or on a regular basis, I am sure we can work something out. I have around 17 cords right now and much of it is seasoned. I think as the others have said you will be good with the cherry and probably the locust. Save the locust for when it gets cold as it burns like coal.

GolfandWoodNut,
I'm from Munhall. The office I work out of is in Kennedy so I know your area well. That would be awesome to work a deal on a cord, I'm thinking if my wood is "decent" i could toss a piece of well seasoned in with some not so well seasoned. Also, I'd love to pick your brain a little bit about some of the ins and outs of heating with wood and so on.

Well did the first fire in the stove today after a 13 hour work day, smoked a little, used some kindling size cherry and it burnt great. Paint smell is almost gone. So far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.