Placement of wood stove temp guage.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jross47

Hearth Supporter
Aug 29, 2008
central Pennsylvania
Greetings from South Central Pa.

I was placing a temperature gauge on a Quadrafire Isle Royale stove yesterday and realized that because it has a stainless rigid liner coming off of the top of the stove ........that my preferred location was not "doable" ....(magnets do not stick to stainless).....this brought up a question that I've never had answered....and I just took an educated guess......Maybe someone with an Quad Isle Royale can help me here???

I ended up fixing the magnetic temp gauge to the overhanging "flange" on the top right of the stove. It seemed logical. What I mean is that the front of the stove is "crowded" by the large double doors. (my second choice would be above and slightly to one side of a door)... So the joint where the top of the stove meets the front wall (it angles slightly down and overhangs 3/4") seemed like a good choice......Thanks in advance..I know that I will get great guidance here..(as always).

Jims Brain.

I'd probably locate it on the top behind the lid about 6-7" to the left or right of the flue outlet. @Jags where would you recommend?

Thanks begreen,
just so you know...this is a strange installation. Its a 5' tall fireplace that is 6' wide....there is no damper door (santa could literally come down this chimney). I put the big cast iron stove in there and then rigid liner up 20ft to a landscape stone with a 6" hole in it.....finally I put a piece of galvanized steel covering that giant opening (at the smoke chamber) and cut a slot for the 6" liner to go up thru....its got a slope and the heat just ROLLS out into the room.....no fan needed and it heats 2400 sq ft...I'll put a pic up here soon....

That's a huge fireplace. Post a picture! The IR is a heating beast.

My place of choice is on the top left corner of the griddle top. This stove being loaded into a fireplace probably doesn’t make that the best spot. So I did some testing...
On an established stove with my thermo in the griddle position mentioned above I was holding 550F steady. That same thermo moved to either of the positions the OP was mentioning had at LEAST a 150 Degree F LESS reading.

So I went one step further... Got the IR thermo out and started scanning the stove face and top lip area. there is no place on the face or the lip that represents the stove top temp. The entire area was as a minimum 100 Deg. F less with the most accurate place being directly above the split in the double door. That area is too small for a typical stove top thermo.

My conclusion... It doesn’t appear that there is any place on the face of this unit - or any protruding lip area that has an accurate reading in relation to true stove top temps. The readings are all over the place. Other than pointing out that the readings on the OPs thermo position is not accurate, I am not sure I have helped much.;em