Planning a new home from the ground up - Let's talk 'wood'!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's stay on the topic of wood heating. Bring storage questions up in the DIY section.

It might be a little late for this, but in the picture section of the same Tumbleweed house you're getting, there is an interior picture with a Jotul F3. It looks like an actual lived in house, not just a model. Maybe you could find out how it's working for that person.

Enesti-Livingroom_grande.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When digging the foundation, excavate a second smaller area near the house for food storage. No reason to have to store a winters worth of food in your economy size house. You could drop a shipping container in there for 3-5 grand and cover it with dirt. Kinda like the show 'Preppers'.

I don't know how much space I would want to devote to food storage in a 900 sqft house? That is the reason I suggest a dedicated granary. Make rotating/accessing foods easier, I would think.
Or the basement is in addition to the ~900 sqft? I guess it does just depend on how much stuff you're talking about and what stuff (some foods consolidate easier). And the other stuff in the basement to make the house 'civilized'.

The shipping containers aren't made for that kind of setup, unless you build bracing for them as well as waterproof them.

Yes, it's 880sqft for the above ground floors. The basement would be as large as the ground floor but with less walls, so including the basement the house will be ~1300sqft. But it's not going to be living space, just concrete, cinderblock, and shelving most likely.

Sorry guys. I'll keep it on topic.
Probably easier to load wood on main floor if basement has hatch access.
Side benefit is you would have whole basement for cold storage, not just a section of it. And less space to heat.
Basement may not need heating.

My GSHP book states these temps for North Carolina. (Fahrenheit)
New Bern: Median Earth Temperature in top 10 feet(Tm), 65; earth surface temperature annual swing (As) above and below Tm, 17. Min earth temp 48.
Greensboro: Tm 60; As 20. Min earth temp 40.

So both places earth temperature shouldn't reach below freezing. I am not positive, just going off some data in my book.
Best time/depth plot data my book has is on Louisville, KY. Similar.
At 0ft lowest earth temp is: 38
6ft : 49
8ft: 52
16ft: 57

Is desired temperature to be achieved in basement, or just keep pipes from freezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.