planning on putting a free standing stove in need your ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

05ramctd

Oct 29, 2013
NEPA
Hello all,

Well I have an older Jotul System 3 insert that was put in my house in 1983. I moved in to the house in 2007 and have been using it religiously every year since then. I have a 25 foot chimney 12 inch flue. 8 inch off the insert into the 12 inch chimney. In my sig is the pic of the insert.

Well my wife an I after much research and planning since I only have Electric baseboard for heat besides the insert have decided to knock the fireplace surround out along with the insert. (Electric breakers are off have not used the baseboards) My plan is to put up engeneered stone up on the wall and a build a hearth. My house is 1200 sq. ft on the main living floor upstairs. the basement is about 1000 sq ft finsihed where the stove will go where the insert sits now. So i figured 2200 sq ft. With just the insert now for heat i could get my house between 60 and 70 degrees in the weather we are having now I live in NE PA.
Prior to this decision we were going to put a new insert in but the one she I mean we picked out was around $4000.00 with the liner for the chimney.
I want a stove that can put out enough heat so I do not have to feed it every couple of hours. Was thinking of a BK King or PE summit. Any other sugestions or ideas. Really like the cat stoves due to the efficency and long burn times. Do I need a chimney liner. What BTU range should I be looking at. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You will probably have to line that chimney either way. Size the liner to the flue collar of whatever stove you decide on.

I'd be looking hard at this stove
http://www.woodstove.com/ideal-steel-hybrid Normally, I would be hesitant with a brand new stove, but there is already tons of feedback from beta testers, both here and on other forums. I think Woodstock really hit a homerun with this one. Great big bang for the buck.

How well is the home insulated? How do you get heat transfer from the basement to upstairs?
Generally speaking - I would install a liner for draft purposes and I would be looking in the 3 to 3+ cuft stoves if loading time is a concern. The answer to my first two questions may help in narrowing down the "needs" side of things.

How well is the home insulated? How do you get heat transfer from the basement to upstairs?
Generally speaking - I would install a liner for draft purposes and I would be looking in the 3 to 3+ cuft stoves if loading time is a concern. The answer to my first two questions may help in narrowing down the "needs" side of things.

Home is pretty good insulation wise. Basement is 16 inch block, with 2X6 studded walls with insulation and sheet rock (finished side.) Attic has 2X8 if not bigger and insuation is 4 inches over that. (added some when I moved in )

Heat transfer: my fire place is with in five feet to the steps for the second floor.(have a door way fan at the top of the steps) The steps lead to the kitchen and then living room. Two vents in the fireplace side of the basement one in two of the three bedrooms. Also cold air vent in living room to the MAN cave side of the basement. In my picture to the left where the St. Bernard is that is the bottom of my steps. Thanks again just want to make the correct decision. Want to be money well spent.

So can we assume that you have the ability to get good heat transfer to the rest of the house? If so - I will stand by my 3+ cuft stove suggestion. There are virtually tons of stoves that could fit the bill. Help us help you - plate steel/cast/stone?? Tubes or cat (or a combo)? Do you want one that looks like a classic stove or a spaceship? Etc. Lay it on us.

So can we assume that you have the ability to get good heat transfer to the rest of the house? If so - I will stand by my 3+ cuft stove suggestion. There are virtually tons of stoves that could fit the bill. Help us help you - plate steel/cast/stone?? Tubes or cat (or a combo)? Do you want one that looks like a classic stove or a spaceship? Etc. Lay it on us.

Plate steel is good. Combo in the cat and tubes if possible. She likes both the classic and newer designs.. Think if i put the cast legs on any stove she will like it. I just want heat long burn times and I want to make the best decision.

Plate steel is good. Combo in the cat and tubes if possible. She likes both the classic and newer designs.. Think if i put the cast legs on any stove she will like it. I just want heat long burn times and I want to make the best decision.
You are Blaze King's ideal customer. Unfortunately, noting you winced at the $4k installed cost for a new insert, I'll say both BK and Woodstock are generally near the top of the price range.

You are Blaze King's ideal customer. Unfortunately, noting you winced at the $4k installed cost for a new insert, I'll say both BK and Woodstock are generally near the top of the price range.

That's why I mentioned Woodstock's new one. All the beta testers are tickled (though that's not a surprise....), and at <$2k for the basic stove, it is more than a 30 or something similar, but much less than a BK. I'm pretty sure it is the lowest priced hybrid out there at the moment.

IS look certainly different, and may be a love it-hate it thing. The lack of a blower would be a big downer for me.

Think the ideal steel will heat my ranch? I also like the idea of a blower on the stove to move heat. Thanks for all your help and ideas.

Think the ideal steel will heat my ranch? I also like the idea of a blower on the stove to move heat. Thanks for all your help and ideas.

Have you been using the Jotul? Can you get heat upstairs?

The IS is a big stove. I suspect from all the hype that it can make a lot of heat. You can call Woodstock and talk to a real person. They are very helpful, and I'm sure will make an honest recommendation. They also have an unconditional six month return policy, if it doesn't work out.

Again, it is new, and not even available yet. They just announced pricing and started taking pre-orders this week.

Yes I have been using the Jotul the inner plates have cracked and broken apart. Put some fire brick in to protect it but it ate up some space. I do get the heat upstairs, the stairwell is infront of the stove and I have a doorway fan in the upper right corner at the top of the streps. Plus a vent next to the stove to a bedroom and on the other side of the basement25 feet away from the stove another vent to the second floor. On the other side of the house a cold air return from the living room.

Well, it sounds like you have a pretty good setup for heating from the basement. That leaves you with tons of stove choices. Like Jags said, anything in the 3 cu ft range or bigger should get it done for you. It depends on what you want to look at, and how much you want to spend. It can be a little overwhelming.

Was thinking of a BK King or PE summit. Any other sugestions or ideas. Really like the cat stoves due to the efficency and long burn times. Do I need a chimney liner. What BTU range should I be looking at. Any help is greatly appreciated.
PE summit is non catalytic....

Aside from the BK King, I would look at

BUCK 91

KUMA Sequoia

Lennox C310

All of these stoves take 8" liners, but will give you LONG burn times. They may be too big for your setup, but it is easier to build a small fire in a big stove than the other way around.

In the six inch liner range

Osburn 2400
Quadrafire 5100i

All of these stoves are inserts (or can be run as inserts).

You mentioned free standing stove in your title.....this opens a whole new world.

Check out Woodstock stoves: www.woodstove.com, the ideal steel or the progress hybrid.

I would also consider

Enerzone 3.4
Englander 30-NC

You might consider the Jotul F55. This is a nice non-catalytic stove, with a lifetime warranty on the secondary burn system. If you are happy with your current Jotul, you could replace it with a newer one. This is a nice stove, and very efficient for a non-catalytic. I saw this one at my local dealer. This is a nicer stove than either the Enerzone or the Englander.

There are many other stoves in addition to these, but it's a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.