Planning stove location and type in new house build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PNWfirburner

Jan 22, 2018
PNW - Washington
Hello all,
Long time viewer first time poster here. I have a few questions Ive been going over for several months. I will start with a little backround. We are building a new 2700 sf home on 2.5 wooded acres. In our previous smaller house, we heated for 10 years with a Non-Cat stove for about 80% of our heat and enjoyed it. We plan to install a wood stove into our new construction which is planned to complete in march 2019. The install will be planned for summer 2019 with potential burning in winter 2019. I've got wood seasoning currently for next years winter with giant pile of logs ready for further processing and drying. We will have a new heat pump/furnace so I will be less dependant on wood heat but will definitely be try so supplement our winter heat about the same amount as in the previous house. I am leaning toward a BK King/Princess or a Woodstock Ideal steal based on some research done here and other places on the interweb. I am a little nervous to go to a CAT stove but think Im ready. I will have to invest some time training my wife so make sure we dont blast through some combustors. I have about two places this stove could be installed in the house that would work for us. I attached the floor plan with these marked. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Also thanks for past advice on other posts. This website has validated my wood burning obsession:)

Stove Spot #1:
Pros:
Closer to spot of wood entry
Potential ugly(in my wifes eyes) silver stove pipe hidden on backside of roof
Cons:
Non-central heat location
May be too hot in our Master bedroom

Stove Spot #2:
Pros:
-More central in the house
Cons:
-Potential ugly(in my wifes eyes) silver stove pipe on the front of my house. Can I make this look nicer somehow?
-Longer path through house carrying dirty wood
Planning stove location and type in new house build Planning stove location and type in new house build

Well, your wife is correct. They're not the best looking stoves on the market. Maybe compromise and get a BK Ashford 30 instead? Or perhaps a good EPA ZC fireplace in the great room on the wall between it and the MBr?

I like loc #2 but not the way it is shown. Is there a low flat roof in the center all the way back through the great room or is the elevation drawing missing something?

I personally would go with a #2 location. I think you can built a chase around the pipe so you won’t see it if it bothered you. As far as stove I think for the size of your house I would go with the king. If it ends up being too much of a stove you can always dial it down so you will feed it only once a day, but it needs 8” flue.

Either location would work just about the same since you have ceiling fans to move the heat..
I dunno if all stove pipe mfgrs. Offer it, but I ordered all my class A pipe that's through the roof powder coated black.. It's Ventis Stove pipe..
Stainless woulda looked chitty on my house too !!

Oops I didn’t see the second pic.

The chimney pipe can be chased to hide it and the chase can be clad to match the house siding, or with faux brick.

If it’s a flat roof it will look ugly no matter what you gone do with it.

It is not a flat roof you are just looking at the face of the roof there

Reactions: PNWfirburner
Two very high performance stoves. Good choices. The cats as installed in these stoves are more durable than people think, just don’t burn garbage!

I say option #1. Doesn't seem that there would be a whole lot of difference heat wise since both locations are in the same room. Meanwhile besides hiding the stove pipe and being closer to the wood supply it looks like #2 might inhibit foot traffic whereas #1 is tucked away with room for wood supply, tools etc.

Where's the comfy chair and TV going? I like to be able to see my fire while vegetating on the couch.

Well, your wife is correct. They're not the best looking stoves on the market. Maybe compromise and get a BK Ashford 30 instead? Or perhaps a good EPA ZC fireplace in the great room on the wall between it and the MBr?

I like loc #2 but not the way it is shown. Is there a low flat roof in the center all the way back through the great room or is the elevation drawing missing something?

We will have a flat 9 foot ceiling height in the entire house. The roof is pitch at 8/12 in the main room which peaks 6-7 feet in from the den wall where location #2 is shown.

I say option #1. Doesn't seem that there would be a whole lot of difference heat wise since both locations are in the same room. Meanwhile besides hiding the stove pipe and being closer to the wood supply it looks like #2 might inhibit foot traffic whereas #1 is tucked away with room for wood supply, tools etc.

Where's the comfy chair and TV going? I like to be able to see my fire while vegetating on the couch.

Some solid points. TV will be on the MBr room wall. I will be installing a stone hearth on the wall behind/surrounding the stove. Spot 1# is definitely a better viewing point and more tucked out of the way of foot traffic.

The chimney pipe can be chased to hide it and the chase can be clad to match the house siding, or with faux brick.

Thanks for the info. I knew it could be done, just couldnt come up with the right description for the google search. *Chased* chimney pipe in google will help come with ideas of how to make this fit with the finish of the house.

Sounds like location #1 with a chased chimney and a better looking stove is the winning combo. Happy wife = happy life.

Location 2, centralize.

No doubt in my mind.

Spot 1: The wife is always right.

More over it appears as though the stove is pretty much in the same room . . . I suspect making it a little more central might help, but what might also be even more beneficial is in how the stove is positioned in the room (i.e. angled installation vs. parallel to the wall) and how you plan to move the heat.

It looks like an attractive design.

Option 2 will be much better for heat circulation into the master bedroom and through the kitchen. You will have trouble getting heat into the smaller bedrooms no matter what.

That said, I foresee significant issues with bringing firewood through the back door, around all the furniture, and then up to that location. I know I would personally choose option 1 for that issue alone.

Option 2 appears to be close enough to the ridge line that it should be possible to offset the flue to exit on the back side of the house. You will still want a chase for appearances.

Option 1 appears to have a clearance issue with the door. Perhaps the doorway could be offset a bit, or perhaps narrowed? Or both?

Either option is going to provide a surprising amount of heat to the kitchen while the nook, with two exposed walls, may be uncomfortably cold by comparison. I would strongly suggest insulating window treatments in that area.

In the end, nothing improves the comfort of a house heated by a point source - such as a wood burning stove - like insulation. And it is cheap to install when building, expensive to add later.

Thanks for the replies. The house design is permanent. If I had more money, I would’ve designed a house around centralized masonry heater. I like that option 1 is so close to the point of wood entry. I think having less debris scattered throughout the house from hauling loads will ultimately net me less work and complaining long term. This factor holds a lot of weight here. I will definitely have to think about clearance to hearth with the French door. I will likely post and ask questions on my endeavor as this all comes together over the next year(s).

It’s not like you’re kicking splits along the floor. Pick up your fuel outside, put it in a sling, and set the sling on the hearth as you load the stove. Then roll the sling up with all the chips and shake it off outside before you refill it next time.

I don’t understand how moving a load of wood results in a trail of debris.

Pick up your fuel outside, put it in a sling, and set the sling on the hearth as you load the stove. Then roll the sling up with all the chips and shake it off outside before you refill it next time.

been doing it like this for 3 years now with a cheapo 10$ sling from tractor supply, no mess, easy as can be, just like a lot of other things in life it's only as messy as you let it be

been doing it like this for 3 years now with a cheapo 10$ sling from tractor supply, no mess, easy as can be, just like a lot of other things in life it's only as messy as you let it be

Ok, agree with using a sling. In my last setup, I had the stove right next to my back door, so I was too lazy and cheap(and stupid) to think a sling would help. My arms became the sling and I wasnt always the best at being clean with this. The sling definitely makes spot 2 more attractive. My truss locations are also a consideration for me as they would not accomodate a corner install in spot 1. There is a truss is 24" out from the MBr wall which would conflict with a straight and preferable stove pipe exit. The stove pipe at spot 2 would line up pretty perfectly with the truss locations.

I would envision the furniture layout. Then locate the stove so it's a focal point.

Looks nice. Great stove. Guess I didn't realize it was available with the Accents? Interesting. Here's to overnights..... And beyond;lol