Planning to buy a new indoor wood furnace and need a little info.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mokashan

Feb 3, 2015
Flint, MI
Hello, I'm about to embark on the adventure of an add-on wood furnace. My home currently has 1, single walled chimney pipe for the current gas furnace and water heater to vent through. What I would like to know is, when I add my wood furnace, after installing the insulated chimney pipe from basement to roof, can the gas furnace and water heater still be tapped into the same chimney pipe, OR will I have to run a 2nd pipe up to the roof?

*Michigan winters can be chilly* :D

You might check out direct venting the gas units.

Are you sure the existing one can be updated for wood burning? It would have to be pretty big now in order to fit an insulated liner in the right size.

Flint town! Fantastic. I spent some time over yonder. Good times.

As stated above sharing flues would be problematic. Not just because it's not up to code but also because it can be quite dangerous. Definitely plan on giving your wood furnace it's own flue.

You might check out direct venting the gas units.
Are you sure the existing one can be updated for wood burning? It would have to be pretty big now in order to fit an insulated liner in the right size.
I had planned to pull the old pipe and install the Insulated pipe in its place as opposed to putting it inside the existing pipe. I figure, If I'm gonna do it, I want it done right...but DIY. :) hehe Tryin to save money by doing it all myself though I will have an inspector come in at the end just to double check my work. :) The upside of all of this is I intended to gut each room anyways to remodel and repair things that had been done during the time the house was first built (GM Tract housing). Adding a 2nd flu won't be a problem. It has to be done so it will be done. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Flint town! Fantastic. I spent some time over yonder. Good times.

As stated above sharing flues would be problematic. Not just because it's not up to code but also because it can be quite dangerous. Definitely plan on giving your wood furnace it's own flue.
Thanks for the heads up. I certainly have no intentions of adding my house to the list of abandoned burned out homes that litter Flint for sure. :) A 2nd flu will be added in the spring to accommodate the gas appliances and the current one will be re plumbed for use with the Wood Furnace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a recommended distance the chimneys must be apart? As I was thinking move over 2-3 floor joists and running the new pipe up from there.

Is there a recommended distance the chimneys must be apart? As I was thinking move over 2-3 floor joists and running the new pipe up from there.
Don't think there is, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
What are you looking at for a wood furnace?

I would imagine they can be right next to each other. Some of the houses around me have 2 chimneys ran side by side.

My chimney pipe had an outer diameter of about 9 inches and requires 2 inch clearences. You need to make sure you can afford to give up the space on the main floor. I was going to do a basement stove but the cost and required space was a deal breaker

You could PM member bholler, he is pro chimney dood by trade, he could tell ya. He hangs out on the stove forum mainly

Status
Not open for further replies.