Plastic Bucket of Ashes On The Deck- Cost $300,000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Today.

http://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2016/01/fireplace-ashes-spark-derwood-house-fire/slide/2/

Plastic Bucket of Ashes On The Deck- Cost $300,000

Reactions: Bigsby
When I was in my mid-20's, I cleaned out an old woodstove that had not had a fire in it for 4 days. I thought that all of the ashes would definitely be cold after 4 days so I dumped them in the trashcan in the kitchen. After going to the store, I came home a few hours later to the smoke detector blaring; a smoke filled house; and a trashcan that had partially melted to the floor. ALWAYS DUMP ASHES AWAY FROM THE HOUSE AND SOAK THEM IN WATER!! Definitely not worth causing a house fire or a forest fire by being careless!

About once a year we get someone doing this ...,or a variant (i.e. cardboard box, paper bag on the deck, porch, garage, etc)

Maybe ten years ago a guy 20 miles south of me tossed his ashes in the woods. Days and dozens of firefighters later the county sent him a very large bill. Many acres burned.

Two years ago a mansion north of here burned and a family of four died when the guy put the ashes in a cardboard box and sat it on the porch outside the front door.

Reminds me of the tragic fire in CT a while back where the outcome was fatal. This is so simple to avoid.

Always always put your oil soaked rags in with your day old ashes in your garage next to your chain saw. Take what I say with a grain of salt.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I've told my story before here, I'll try to make it short. When I was new to this, I would arrive at the cabin on Friday night and clean out the stove. The stove was cold , as it burned out the previous Sunday. Thinking the ash was cold, I would empty it into a plastic garbage can on the deck. One day I moved the can and found a pile of ash, 6 inches in diameter smoldering the deck board. It had burned 3/4 through the deck board. It was still burning strong. It was only days before it would burn through the deck board and hit the air, then the new house was done.

Now the ash goes into a metal can that sits on a bluestone slab in the yard. The can gets dumped into my ash pile pit.

Always always put your oil soaked rags in with your day old ashes in your garage next to your chain saw. Take what I say with a grain of salt.

Don't you mean next to the 5 gallon can of gas? ;) I think this post needs a ;) so folks realize you were being funny . . . some folks don't get sarcastic humor. :)

Yes, rearscreen, sarcasm doesn't come through well on the computer. I know from experience.

Boy Scouts 101
Turn ashes to mud before leaving camp.

I'm real new to woodstoving but have had ash at the bottom of my firepit
glow days after a rain when I raked off the top layer of crud. From my very
first cleanout, my stove- ash will be treated as if our lives depend on it.
Oh yeah, or lives DO depend on fire safety. Wow. (sarcasm emoticon) LOL

Reactions: toddnic
The stove was cold , as it burned out the previous Sunday. Thinking the ash was cold, I would empty it into a plastic garbage can on the deck. One day I moved the can and found a pile of ash, 6 inches in diameter smoldering the deck board. It had burned 3/4 through the deck board. It was still burning strong. It was only days before it would burn through the deck board and hit the air, then the new house was done.

When stories like this come from a long-term, respected members, they contradict the "you can't fix stupid" dismissals.

This is a very subtle risk of wood burning, not something obvious that only a fool wouldn't see.

It's simply not intuitive that ashes can insulate embers well enough to keep them very slowly smouldering for days, or in ideal conditions, even weeks. It's a message that needs to be repeated and reinforced, just like the burning dry wood message.

As a related reminder, it is also recommended not to keep even non-flammable ash buckets inside, because smouldering embers hidden in the ashes also can produce potentially hazardous amounts of carbon monoxide.

We use those big metal trash cans to dump ash in. They are located on a stone porch, away from anything combustible. Twice a year, when it is raining, I spread those ashes on my gravel driveway to dispose of them.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
Status
Not open for further replies.