1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

plastic covering for windows

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Black Jaque Janaviac, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Black Jaque Janaviac

Black Jaque Janaviac Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ouisconsin
    anyone cover their windows with plastic every year?

I did a few windows last year and tried it again this year. However last summer when I removed the plastic, the glue from the tape remained on the window frame. Now this year if I tape over the same spot the tape lets go. So I tried cleaning the old glue off. Steel wool, WD-40, razor blade, windex, soapy water, acetone. None of it works well. Sure some of the combinations do remove it, however by the time you multiply the time involve by the number of windows to do. . . winter will be over!

I can't believe I'm the first one to encounter this problem. And the methods for removing the old glue all seem so tedious that I'd rather just pay the high heat bills.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. festerw

festerw Member

Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    3M makes an adhesive remover that works well, I've always bought it at the auto parts store it may be available at hardware stores also.
  3. soupy1957

soupy1957 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I could see myself covering a few of my windows (even though I have very adequate storm windows) on the far end of the house, away from the wood stove room, but frankly, I like the house to be able to breath. Both from a safety standpoint, as well as a comfort standpoint.

-Soupy1957