Plastic Vacuum Safe to Vacuum Outside of Operating Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

techfranz

Feb 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
As a matter of safety, we do not use any sort of Shop Vac or Battery Vacuum around our Pellet Stove while it is operating. Only when it is cool and then we take the Vacuum outside to avoid the risk of fire.

My question is: What actually would combust on the exterior of a pellet stove? It would be nice to have a battery sweeper nearby to nab the dust and stray pellets.
Do you think it would be safe to use a regular household vacuum around a Pellet Stove?
I think my idea of Stove Safety has to do with the fact that previously we had a Wood Stove in the Pellet Stove's place. With a Wood stove, there are always Embers falling out when you load it etc…

So, is a household Vacuum safe to use on the exterior of an operating Pellet Stove?

Reactions: tbear853
I use a small battery vac around the outside of my stove. I don't have a concern.

Reactions: techfranz
I use a small shop vac around mine and when I clean it. It is plastic and has a paper bag for collection of debris.

Reactions: techfranz
We vac around the pellet stove all the time and more times than not it is running
The fire is contained in the stove. Only vac the firebox and exhaust when the stove
is fully cold

I got Cougar Vacuum I use. Paid $60 for it off ebay. Needed new filters and bracket inside.
Yes, I am still considering a dedicated Ash Vac.
It’s easy to get Dust Outside the stove when emptying the Ash Pan or scraping the burn pot. I think an Ash Vac is safest for any operation where the stove door is opened. You never know if a hot pellet might tumble out.

If you're worried about hot pellets spilling out, then don't open the door when the stove is running.

I use a shopvac every time I dump a bag in the hopper, quite often when the stove is running. I tuck the end of the hose in the hopper to catch the dust as I'm dumping the bag.

If you're worried about hot pellets spilling out, then don't open the door when the stove is running.

I use a shopvac every time I dump a bag in the hopper, quite often when the stove is running. I tuck the end of the hose in the hopper to catch the dust as I'm dumping the bag.
I like that idea. Your pellet stove gets a temporary Built-in Dust collector.