Pleasant Hearth doors from H. Depot only labeled for masonry, want to use for a Lennox unit.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawnman323

Dec 16, 2007
N. Mich.
Hi, I'm a first time poster here. I have a Lennox colonial series 3629 prefab fireplace and want to install a set of glass doors on it. I went to my local dealer and he priced me out at $630.00. Then I went to H. Depot and walked out with a set of doors for $220.00. It is a Pleasant Hearth set of doors but it cautions me multiple times about not using it for prefab fireplaces. The only difference I can see is that these doors are set up for masonry mount. I'm just finishing the fireplace now with stone, etc. so I can alter the stone to the set of doors, I just don't want to make a mistake. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice.

You could burn your house down by putting those doors on that unit. No big deal. :) Really though those doors can block cooling air vents which can cause the fireplace to overheat. They're listed as masonry doors only because in order to get a set of doors listed for any ZC fireplace you have to test that specific set of doors with that specific unit and get a UL listing stating that, that particular combination of doors and fireplace are ok to go together. You can imagine with a ton of doors out there that most companies don't bother with that testing and instead make their own doors. Thermorite is one company that makes a series of doors listed for use with a list of common ZC fireplaces. Thta extra four bills might be worth the investment if you want to ensure safe and proper operation of your fireplace. Of course you can also scoff at code and common sense and play mr. Wizard and go ahead and do what you want. It's your ball and your court.

If the doors are not specifically made and tested for your unit it voids the UL listing if they are installed. You can restrict airflow into the unit and overheat the shell, over time this could ignite nearby combustibles which would not have gotten that hot with the correct doors installed.

Edit: Shane and I posted at the same time... oh well...

It's a good thing when two or more people post the same answer, it reinforces that the answer is correct not just someones opinion. Serisouly though I have seen a fire started from this exact same scenario and I really wouldn't recommend it.

100% right....

I had folks come in my store that did this, and burnt their houses down (or had massive in-wall fires) within 24 hours. It would be like blocking the radiator in a car, it can overheat quite fast. And it is not only the vents you see. Some fireplaces have cooling vents located in places you cannot see.

So please use the factory doors if possible, and if not possible certain manufacturers make "approved" retrofit doors - but make certain they specify these are OK for your particular model.

Good Luck.......and thanks for asking here before you did this!

Thank you for the honest replies.

Where would I look for a more cost-effective set of doors? I did some hunting online and that $600 mark is common for that specific model. The fireplace already has the pull screens on it for sparks - all I want is a set of glass doors to close when I go to bed and the embers are still burning.

This is frustrating, as I could just get a piece of tempered glass and make a slot for it to drop into with a little c-channel. I just have

a tough time paying $600-700 for some glass.

Edit: there are no vents on the exterior 7" thick black "frame" around the fireplace. I was planning on dur-rocking over that anyways with a "schluter" strip for an edge.

For the custom doors made for a ZC box I think the cheapest we have is around $600, they can be up to $2000. Have you tried to locate the original doors made for that unit from Lennox? They will probably be much cheaper.

As far as covering the black around the unit, it should be OK but the install manual would give the real answer. On all the Heatilator units we install it is fine to cover the non-louvered black panels.

You might find someone that discounts that type of stuff if you search around. $600 is on the high end for pre-fab doors, but that is not an el-cheapo model - it is the same size as a masonry fireplace.....and decent masonry fireplace doors are $400-$1000+

I don't think you are going to save by going generic - you should search around for the best quote on the specified doors.

Thank you again.

The story here is that our house was a spec house and the builder went into foreclosure and we bought it from the bank. It was sold "as is" and the fireplace has a manual with it, but no doors. It has been inspected and approved. I will try to track down some doors from Lennox online. Of course my wife wants this project done by Christmas and the 3-4 week order time for most specified doors is out of the question.

Thanks, any other opinions, feel free to chime in.

Scott

Looks like black Lennox doors are $300-$335.00 or so.

I was looking at the Pleasant Hearth doors again and I cannot see any possible way that this door would alter the function of the fireplace. You guys are telling me that air needs to flow into the fireplace from the living room? The distance between the glass doors could be different for different models I guess. Possibly mine is specified for a vent facing the living room? I looked all over online and the sample pictures for Lennox showed tile covering the unit up to the opening. So I don't believe that it needs this. The Lennox doors (36-LBF) appear to be just glass panes with grab handles on the bottom (so I have to bend over further).

I don't want to be the moron who goes against the grain, but common sense has to take over somewhere. GM warns you to use genuine replacement parts on their vehicles and they charge an outrageous price for them. Everyone knows that aftermarket parts are acceptable as replacement and you save a bundle.

I totally understand that you can start a fire without the proper equipment, but in my instance I cannot see a difference. I know as vendors you guys cannot tell me to install these doors, but I am not one to be taken for a ride.

I had no idea this would become so technical. I have 3 days to get this thing done. Grr. Any input, throw it in.

Scott

I understand. I know that you are not trying to take me for a ride, I meant that you cannot tell me to do do this because it would compromise your integrity as a professional, and I completely respect that.

I just looked, I'm vented from the side of the firebox to the outside of the home.

I am going to do some more homework tomorrow, and see the availibility on the Lennox doors.

Thank you for the responses, I welcome all the advice I can get.

Lawn, I know how it looks....that is mostly because that fireplace is a "flush wall" type. Most prefabs...or many, have vents and other jazz on the front, so it becomes more evident.

I think you will find that the Lennox doors fit INSIDE the opening, as opposed to on the outside like "generic" doors. That in itself is a big difference.

It might be that for certain prefabs a set of other doors would not burn the house down. But for a LOT of them, it would. And I guess that is the problem. We cannot keep up with model numbers and personally check the air flow and clearances on each unit....and, most importantly, the manufacturer and manual AND the testing lab only approve the spec doors. I can just imagine the "discovery" when the insurance company looks into a house fire and they ask you if you knew about the doors?

And, the fact is that the spec doors are usually the same or less than generic door, Home Cheapo aside. So that does not leave much reason for jury-rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.