Pleasantly surprised at electric chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
I picked up a sears 18" electric chainsaw this winter and was surprised at how well it cuts. The trick is to keep the chains very sharp - which I do by giving each tooth 2 or 3 strokes every couple hrs of heavy cutting. I have a 50' 10 gauge yellow jacket ext cord which allows me to cut with no apparent loss of power.

Might pick up another 50' cord and see if it as strong at 100 ft. If so - I wont have to move my big stumps from the scrounge pile to chop them.

Used to think electrics were for wimps but they really come in handy for inside work or within ext cord distance.

2 thumbs up

What is the amp draw on the saw, you might not need a cord that big, 10 gauge is a hellva cord and pricy too I bet.

A while back I checked on a 10 gauge cord,it was at least double the cost over the 12 gauge I normally use.Can use a 15 amp wormdrive skilsaw or big bosch router all afternoon with a 12 gauge cord,even with old house & 30 amp breaker lol

oldspark said:
What is the amp draw on the saw, you might not need a cord that big, 10 gauge is a hellva cord and pricy too I bet.

10ga was pricey but i got it 15 years ago and its still in mint. I love yellow jacket cords - they flex and last forever.
The little light in the plug is nice to tell me im powered up.

Craftsman 4 hp 18'' Electric Chain Saw
Motor-Engine:
Amps: 13
Horsepower: 4 hp
Voltage: 110 volts

the 4hp is pure fiction but 13 amps makes sense since it is supposed to run on a 15amp circuit

You probably know this, but electrics are much more dangerous than gasoline. They don't have the anti-kickback safety, which means the chain doesn't stop until you let go of the trigger. Since that's usually how you support the saw, you can do a lot of damage in a split second. Just being aware of this may help, but chaps are a must.

DanCorcoran said:
You probably know this, but electrics are much more dangerous than gasoline. They don't have the anti-kickback safety, which means the chain doesn't stop until you let go of the trigger. Since that's usually how you support the saw, you can do a lot of damage in a split second. Just being aware of this may help, but chaps are a must.

Im pretty careful with it and I agree its a dangerous tool - you must be focused every second you use it.

DanCorcoran said:

I've noticed that alot of chainsaw chaps come with a disclaimer that they aren't designed to stop electric chainsaws:

WARNING FOR ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW USERS!
The fibers will not stop the sprocket on most electric chain saws because of their constant high torque.

Stihl is supposed to be coming out with a cordless electric saw. I don't know anything about it but it should be much better than the current cordless saws by Ryobi, Makita and Craftsman. I'll be curious to see some initial reviews.

My Poulan Pro 2 HP electric has a chain brake.
I just got a more aggressive than stock chain and am anxious to try it out.

the reason chaps don't stop electrics very well, if at all, is that the torque (crank twisting or chain pulling force) on a gas engine only rises maybe 10-20% from peak rpm to peak torque, then it drops off and the engine stalls or clutch slips.

Most electric motors have peak torque from 200% to 300% of rated torque. Just keep adding amperage and increasing torque and speeds reduces. or at least until the motor smokes from amps and internal heat.

so with an electric the chaps fibers have to handle 2 or 3 x more chain forces than even most of the largest gas saws.

However, I would prefer wearing chaps that absorb some chain force and speed and maybe reduce an injury, rather than thinking since they can't totally prevent injury I won't use them at all.....

I love to watch the carvers at the fair, most use electrics due to fumes and noise restricdtions on them. Very much artists.

kcj

Status
Not open for further replies.