please critique my hearth design before i build it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phenolic

Dec 8, 2010
central TX
ok so i'm trying to coordinate the install of a wood burning insert and taking advantage of the tax credit ending dec 31st. After talking to my dealers it looks like i'm on my own for making sure i'm setup w/in the insert's min clearances and they just show up with the stove & liner and slap it in.

My issue is that i have no idea what the r-value of my existing hearth is and i'm pretty sure it's not enough. it's ceramic tile and what looks to be some sort of cement board underneath that's at least 1/2" thick. I've called a bunch of masonry places but not having much luck finding anyone who can do the job before the end of the year so i've got a plan to do it myself. i think i've talked myself into thinking it won't be that tough so if i'm missing something please set me straight cause i don't want to f this up.

we're leaning towards the clydesdale insert btw which requires the hearth to be 18" from the faceplate and have an r-value of 1.0. existing hearth is 18" deep so i'll use the same dimensions.

my plan is to remove existing tiles and put two courses of 2.25" bricks with 3/8" mortar (to match existing fireplace) then top with a ceramic tile. by my calculations that gives me r-value of 1.15 + whatever the board under the existing tiles is rated for. i have a bunch of matching bricks that were in the attic when we bought the house that i plan to use.

The second part of the equation is also building up the floor of the firebox to match the height of the hearth. I assume the bricks on the bottom of the firebox are firebricks and my plan is to remove them (most are already loose), lay 2 courses of 2.25" bricks with some mortar to hold them in place and put the firebricks on top. since the firebox slopes inward as it goes back i'm thinking i'll just chip away at a few bricks with a hammer chisel to make a pretty good fit and just mortar in the gaps.

the third part is removing the bricks in the back of the firebox that make it slope forward as it goes up. a bunch are falling out already so i don't anticipate any issues there. i'm hoping that there will be continuous firebricks behind the angled bricks that make up the back wall after i remove them. If there aren't i'll just pickup a few firebricks and mortar them in the back.

sounds easy enough right? a trip to the store to pickup some motar, tiles and thinset and i'll be ready for a day of fun.

here's a pic so you get a feel for what i'm talking about

Attachments

• IMG_0126_resize.jpg
    IMG_0126_resize.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 256
Before digging into it, try to figure out how it was constructed. Can you get underneath the hearth to see how it is supported? If it's shallow, there will be just the sub-floor and joists visible, but often fireplace hearths are much more robust. Some hearths have a large amount of rubble fill underneath them. Some have a poured cement base that is formed between the joists. In our house, the hearth area extended all the way to the ground in the crawlspace. When I removed the fireplace I had to do a fair amount of excavating.

good call begreen, i'll crawl under there tomorrow and try figure it out how it is constructed. not sure why i didn't think to do that before making plans to tear into it.

we ended up buying the clydesdale today :cheese: expensive but the wife said it was the only one she really liked. can't wait to get it installed.

if we have to raise our hearth & firebox more then ~3/4" we're going to need a mantle shield which the wife isn't at all interested in. lets hope i find a concrete hearth that extends down to the ground.

I have a basement under mine - but still had a concrete slab about 3" thick...

i do have a angled slab of concrete under the hearth. it's about 10" thick at the back and maybe 8" thick at the front (~8.5" from the bottom of the concrete to the bottom of the subfloor at the back where it meets the fireplace and ~6" at the front).

i need 10.3" to hit my r-value so i think i'm good in the back and i may be an inch or so short in the front. think i need should worry about adding more r-value or should i just roll with it?

Attachments

• IMG_5800_resize.jpg
    IMG_5800_resize.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.