PLEASE HELP! something is eating my wood!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have come across small amount of those bugs when splitting and threw them in the bonfire pile. That pile is near the woods and I will throw them in the burner sometimes. It seems they leave the wood as it dries and move out into the woods for some fresh trees.
just for the record I have sprayed insect spray on the wood pile with no problems. Every year I spray a couple times around the yard to knock down the bugs a bit before parties and so the main wood pile has been sprayed with a light spray and the oder goes away after a day or two and never noticed anything when burning. I do have the EKO located outside so it's not like any fumes if there were any would get into the house anyway.

I had some similar looking critters in some oak slab wood that I got. I just ignored them and burned them with the wood when the time came.

You would have to have an absolute crap load of those things for them to have a measurable affect on your volume of wood.

Haven't stopped in for a while but I noticed bore holes and sawdust in my wood pile. Grabbed a length of my hickory and split it until I found the little bugger.

A quick search on herth.com and I have identified the culprit! I have this in my pile, too. They're in the hickory but seem to be leaving the cherry alone. Haven't found them in my other pile of unsplit ash and white oak.

I have plenty of wood that they can eat what they want and I'll still have plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.