Please help the noob........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty81

Hearth Supporter
Nov 16, 2010
nebraska
Its a pacific super 27 stove.

First of all, What are the little 1/4 holes that are on the inside top of my stove? Is that where the unburnt fuel is burnt?

Second, I was reading the manual and under the title combustion air it says you either need to have an outside air supply or room air supply.
It's on room air supply right now but this is what gets me.

It says to remove the rear pedestal cover so the firebox can suck air through the pedestal.

The guy didnt remove any cover..............

I dont really have problems starting the stove, should I leave it on or what should i do?

Heres a stupid question too..............

It says for sustained overnight heating, use round unsplit wood. Get wood charred and then set air control to low, this dosent seem to put out much heat.......

Is it kinda the low and slow last longer idea? I mean, I have been burning at 350 and it usually heats up pretty quick. If I set the air controll lower it may dip down to 200 or so but will last longer and keep the room warm longer?

smitty81 said:

First of all, What are the little 1/4 holes that are on the inside top of my stove? Is that where the unburnt fuel is burnt?

Second, I was reading the manual and under the title combustion air it says you either need to have an outside air supply or room air supply.

It says to remove the rear pedestal cover so the firebox can suck air through the pedestal.

The guy didnt remove any cover..............

I dont really have problems starting the stove, should I leave it on or what should i do?

It says for sustained overnight heating, use round unsplit wood. Get wood charred and then set air control to low, this dosent seem to put out much heat.......

Is it kinda the low and slow last longer idea? I mean, I have been burning at 350 and it usually heats up pretty quick. If I set the air controll lower it may dip down to 200 or so but will last longer and keep the room warm longer?

The tiny holes in the air tubes in the top are for seconday combustion.

I am not familar with your stove. I would suggest calling the installer to make sure about the pedestal cover and make sure it's set up for inside air. Sounds like it is functioning alright.

Using round unsplit wood is not the only way to get overnight burns. Are you filling the fire box? Are you waiting long enough before dialing the air down low?

I fill mine full and get it fully engaged (rip roaring) and then dial it down (set air control to low). This is when the secondary combustion kicks in and the stove glows a nice orange/red. It's like a jet engine kicking in the after burners. This is when I get the MOST heat from the stove. As I sleep, the temps will drop over time - but it's hot and we are kicking off the covers for the first part of the night. I wake up to a pile of ash and coal, but the blower is still going and the house is warm. Time to feed the stove. Good seasoned hardwood packed in full, get it really going, then close it down. I have a full glass view on my stove and don't monitor temps. Low and slow sounds right, but my stove really cranks out the heat best when I have it fully loaded and dial it down only after it's really going. If you dial it down too soon, it struggles.

smitty81 said:

First of all, What are the little 1/4 holes that are on the inside top of my stove? Is that where the unburnt fuel is burnt? Yep those are the secondaires

The guy didnt remove any cover.............. Unsure of this particular stove I would call the dealer

WIth a Full or nearly full stove, the secondaries will be burning, by closing down the air, you will get a warmer stove, it is counter-intuive to some but less air in means less air up chimney which means stove retains heat...... IMPORTANT..... YOU CLOSE DOWN AIR IN STAGES NOT ALL AT ONCE... SECONDARIES SHOULD BE IGNITED...

shawneyboy said:
smitty81 said:

First of all, What are the little 1/4 holes that are on the inside top of my stove? Is that where the unburnt fuel is burnt? Yep those are the secondaires

The guy didnt remove any cover.............. Unsure of this particular stove I would call the dealer

WIth a Full or nearly full stove, the secondaries will be burning, by closing down the air, you will get a warmer stove, it is counter-intuive to some but less air in means less air up chimney which means stove retains heat...... IMPORTANT..... YOU CLOSE DOWN AIR IN STAGES NOT ALL AT ONCE... SECONDARIES SHOULD BE IGNITED...

Thanks, I always just closed her down, I will try doing it in stages.............

350 is way too low. Let her get up to about 500 and then close her down all the way.

Hogwildz said:
350 is way too low. Let her get up to about 500 and then close her down all the way.
Well 350 is just what I let it run at when im in the room. I leave the air boost open to maintain 350.

shawneyboy said:

I packed the stove full, ran it up to 500 and then slowly closed it down. All secondaries are ignited and I got the air boost pretty much closed.. My temp is maintaining 400 and the air boost is pretty much off.

Did I do it right?

Question, I looked outside at the weather cap and im seeing smoke.............
Your not suppost to have smoke in these newer stoves if they're operating correctly.

Could it just be the wide temp difference between outside and stove air?

Its only 20 degrees outside.

350-400 is on the low side for this stove. It usually will cruise at around 500-600°F. If the stove doesn't want to go much hotter than 350-400, the wood might not be fully seasoned.

BeGreen said:
350-400 is on the low side for this stove. It usually will cruise at around 500-600°F. If the stove doesn't want to go much hotter than 350-400, the wood may not be seasoned.

Oh it can and will get a lot hotter than 350-400 if I open the air boost up. 350 makes for comfortable room temps and helps the wood to last longer.

350-400 is just what I normally operate it at when im in the room.

I was just trying to figure out how to burn through the night........................

Did you start from a decent bed of coals, or a kindling fire?

It's usually better to build a coal bed with these stoves, and then go for the "gusto".

As a first year burner, you have a large learning curve ahead of you. It'll come.

How seasoned is your firewood?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

It's usually better to build a coal bed with these stoves, and then go for the "gusto".

As a first year burner, you have a large learning curve ahead of you. It'll come.

I try to keep a bed of coals.

The fire wood, im not to sure of. I got it from my grandma. She has some delivered for her fireplace so id suppose its ok.

Im getting a bunch on thursday from a guy that cuts wood for a living...........

smitty81 said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

I try to keep a bed of coals.

The fire wood, im not to sure of. I got it from my grandma. She has some delivered for her fireplace so id suppose its ok.

Im getting a bunch on thursday from a guy that cuts wood for a living...........

I am not passing judgement on all firewood dealers, perhaps for most, but not all. Odds are this wood will not be truely seasoned and should not be used. That being said... Get ahead of the supply curve, while getting on the learning curve. You will want 2 years or so of wood seasoning in the back yard at all times, if you can. Then you know the wood is good. A friend of mine bought "seasoned" wood from a dealer just a few weeks ago. It was Oak with a moisture content in the low to mid 30s. This is barely even burnable !!!

If you want to be sure about your wood get moisture meter. Or bang to peaces together if its dull you have wet wood if its loud and hollow sound its OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.