Please help with the Identity of this insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric D.

Nov 27, 2012
Ohio
I found this on craigslist and the guy says its an Englander, however I am unable to find information about it anywhere online and I am left to bug you guys about it. He completely tears them apart, puts new seals and repaints.
Does anybody know the model? If this is a decent insert? Why exactly is there 3 ports on the back? What would you be willing to pay if you found it?
Any Information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks englander fireplace 1.jpgenglander insert 2.jpg

Some stoves/inserts have multiple ports for running ducts to other rooms....though I've only see it on the zero clearance ones (admittedly I haven't looked around all that much however).

Interesting......not sure what it is, but it looks to be well-restored, and a well-built unit.....

He has it back on ebay right now for 1600. I live in the area and can get it for 1200.00 Im just not sure if this is a good price. It seems like a good insert i'm just a little skeptical since this is the only one I can find on the internet and it doesnt appear to have a model number on it. My other option is to get a cheaper smaller insert that I know exactly what it is. I'm just drawn to this since it has multiple dampers that I can control air flow better and just seems to bet a sturdy heat machine.

Another question I have is this will be going into a open fireplace that was probably build in the early 90's. I have been told I can shove an insert in there and not deal with putting a lining in. The lining I have currently is the clay variety in good condition. Thanks for any replies.

I'm saying you are going to want a liner. Do some searching on this site and you'll see why. Not to say you cannot use.of without a liner, but you'd be much better off WITH one for many reasons.

Why would you pay $1600 for a pre-EPA unknown stove when you can get a new EPA unit for this price or less?

Reactions: sticks
Wanting to stay at or lower than the 1,200 (which is what i can purchase this for) range for the insert I havent been impressed by my other options. This has a larger box, better damper controls, better looking in general, dont have to pay for shipping or taxes and just seems as though it would be a good older better build machine. I am also very open to suggestions anyone might have on new inserts. I will admit that while looking it is fun to imagine that more bells and whistles is a good thing but may not be the case. Thanks!

Sounds like an expensive crapshoot to me. What Englander model is this?

"3 Round Exhaust Ports with a BUILT IN DAMPER!! This is designed to just slide into your fireplace opening and exhaust straight up and out or you can hook it to a liner if needed!! WOW!! AWESOME!!" Is that even legal in most places? I'd be inclined to look for something a little more, uhm, "conventional" like a decent used epa insert or possibly install a fre-stander in that fireplace as a hearth stove?? What's your current fireplace look like (pics would help).

As for that thing, I'm thinking run don't walk, away.

I sent a PM to stoveguy, at this point just because I want to know what this is. I also found http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3706810&cagpspn=pla any opinions on this insert? it would be about 1000.00 out the door with the back plate and tax. I ask mainly because I have an ace about 3 miles away and would be easier to pick up rather than finding the shipping dock. Or is the Timber Ridge one just plain better from overstockstove?
My house is only 1600 ft but im really only looking to keep my family room and attached rooms warm, I'd rather have my bedroom cold anyhow. I'll try to post a pic of my massive wall of a fireplace that I'm trying to fill per KB007 request.

That thing is an old "slammer," built before the importance of a direct connection to a flue liner was discovered (and incorporated into the codebooks and listing requirements). In order to accomplish a code-approved installation today, you'd have to either run three 3" liners, or devise some sort of plenum to connect the three exhaust ports to a single liner. Note: when considering price, be sure and budget in extra fuel wood expense: inserts of that vintage were extremely inefficient by today's standards.

I really appreciate all the help from everybody. Thanks! here are a few pics of where its going if anybody is interested (not great images sorry.). My opening is 24 High, 24 deep with a taper the further back you go, 38 wide.
Is it most efficient to cram as much wood in the box as possible and just choke the air flow down? should i just go with the biggest box in my price range?
I dont mean to keep bugging anybody, just trying to be as informed as possible so im not disappointed. Thanks -Eric-
phone 150.jpgphone 151.jpg

looking around at other forums do you think its possible for me to put a free standing unit in? my hearth is 25 inches deep and im just wondering if there is a stove i can tuck in there a little bit and fill the extra space with something. Just another though that may be a bigger pain than just going with an insert.

In that situation I think I'd be inclined to go with an insert. With the 24" height you'd prolly have to find a rear vented stove.

There are a couple of decent looking inserts on the website Huntingdog1 posted - the Vogelzang looks like it might be a good deal especially with the blower included.

Oh and yes, get the biggest firebox you can fit in there ;)

The Century gets good reviews. Be sure to order the fireplace surround, they call it a faceplate, with it. I is optional, not included.

The ebay seller has years of wood stove experience but can't properly ID the stove? Guess it's too old to have Mfg plate or stamped markings? I'd stay away from this. I, too, like that Century Insert CB00005 from Northern Tool. Shipped to store free. You know what you're getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.