Please Help......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHJAKE

Nov 14, 2008
Lakes Region , NH
I'm in the process of installin a thru the wall system. I have a sellkirk theu the wall kit from Lowes and have ready the diredtions several times. That being said I have cut the hole out through the sheetrock, sheathing & vinal siding.... Know my question for you is when I mount that outter flange to the house should I remove the vinal siding so it will sit flush to the siding? Or is it ok to screw it over the siding? I think this will create a problem when I go to mount the wall support directly beneath this to support the t-joint. I believe that with the siding cut away everything will sit flush to the sheathing and make it much easier to keep plumb and will make everthing more secure to the structure, rather than trying to crush or sqwish the siding in...... Does this make sense? I hope someone can shed some light on this....need to get this done soon.....it's starting to get darn cold here in New Hampshire!!!!!

Just cut the siding mashing it down may cause it to crack in time when it gets cold and brittle.
To bad you couldn't go straight up . I have been their with those T clean outs and pipe out-side.

We did the same installation on our house. The support bracket needs to be against the wall
sheathing. So you will need to cut back the siding. Sawzall with metal cutting blade works good.
If you dado your wall brackets so to slide the siding behind and then chalk. Makes for a clean finish.
Hope this helps ya.

Thanks for the replys. I cut away the siding and mounted everthing directly to the sheating....I siliconed everything to get me by for now, in the spring I will trim everything with a-zak the plastice trim board stuff. Not the prettiest for now but. I'm enjoying my first fire in my woodstove right now!!!!!!

NHJAKE,
Congratulation, well done, enjoy, be warm!!

Cut back the siding and use J channel. Sometimes it looks better if you fur it out so it comes out flush and cover the furring with color matched aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.