Plugging Away

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewoodjunky

Sep 18, 2010
Central/Western MA
So I am still plugging away at the wood that my neighbor was kind enough to give me. I have maybe a third more to go besides the rounds that I cut up today -

10-18-10rounds.jpg

Front rounds ended up being a bit punky - surprise, surprise with the fungi garden sprouting from them. It ended up being around 6 punks and the rest were solid.

My stack so far -

10-18-10.jpg

And from the other angle -

10-18-10pt2.jpg

On a side note - the guy that I got my first craigslist score from just called me back - he dropped 6 more trees and wanted to offer them to me since I kept his yard clean and neat on the first pick-up. Just goes to show you...

I, of course, said I would take them. Now, I have to figure out how to buck, split and stack em quick, so the missus doesn't go crazy!

Thats what I call plugging away, nice job and it looks great.

zap

I'm plugging away too, but don't have as much wood as you. (I don't have the space). I'm starting on a new Holz Haus for 2 years from now. That's about all I can stack in my yard without it being an eyesore. Photos attached from yesterday's FREE score. All cut to length for me. All I had to do was put them in my trailer and truck. I'm going back to this place in a couple of days for another load.

Attachments

• IMAG0920.jpg
    IMAG0920.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 268
  • IMAG0921.jpg
    IMAG0921.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 293
  • IMAG0922.jpg
    IMAG0922.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 266
Zap - thanks for the compliment, it's not a GPS/Laser guided stack like yours but it makes a great fence!

Jdinspector - that's a sweet score! Good for you! I don't know if I have the patience for a Holz, plus I am trying to make a replica of the Alamo around my house - just to mess with the deer : )

Matt - thanks, I have a pretty good mix of trees around my house, it was built in 1890 and I think some of them are the originals.

Looks good firewoodjunky.

I just don't get it when people say a wood pile is unsightly. If it is stacked neat, it is not an eyesore at all.

Attractive, and doubles as a border/deer/privacy fence. Nice!

That wood is probably fine with a little punk on it. But store punky wood out of the rain because the punk acts like a doggone sponge. Keeps the split too wet and it doesn't season near as well.

I'm anal enough about it that I routinely chip off punky wood with a hatchet on some portion of what I get (mainly Red Oak) that is too far gone. Then it seasons great. I think of it as 'quality time' with my wood. Ah, heck- I need the exercise. Somehow the cat and the GF do understand. Something about those warm winter fires, i guess. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.