Podcasting...not Pod People

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta-T

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
NH
i recently discovered the "podcast" and am totally hooked on The Naked Scientists. Its out of Cambridge Univesity and covers all kind of new stuff and old stuff in..you guessed it, science. I like that they are British, and talk in the Britishy way. I've heard stuff from microbiology to astronomy, to chemistry with household stuff. Good times for the curious, or for those who like to hear English people say the word vitamin (with soft 'i'). I also enjoy a radio show called Coast to Coast Am (with George Noory). Its a bit "out there". Talk about aliens, and some very far out "alternate" concepts to history and "science". I listen for fun, not to fuel my paranoia. Anyone else got something good to listen to that I might be missing? Right now I'm listening to Best of Natural History by the BBC (gotta love those Brits).

Reactions: midwestcoast
CBC radio has some good ones too. For another science show check Quirks and Quarks http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/ although the accents are not nearly as sophisticated :)
If you have a long attention span Ideas has hour-long conversations on a single topic that I often find very interesting. http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/ still with boring Canadian accents, but Paul Kennedy does seem to wear a lot of turtle-necks, so....

I used to listen to podcasts all the time. My work/life schedule has changed so much though that I don't get to do that any more. I've mostly been listening to audiobooks when I cut the grass, commute, or travel for work.

Garrison Keillor releases his News From Lake Wobegon as a podcast. I haven't listened to it in a while, but that was always a favorite.

If you like technology, check out the stuff from TWiT (www.twit.tv) and Revision3 (revision3.com).

There is a guy that does video podcasts on woodworking that are AWESOME. Take a look at The Wood Whisperer if you like that sort of thing.

-SF

Love podcasts. I think its the future of radio. My hands down favorite is "The Joe Rogan Experience". It's not for everyone but the topics discussed are very interesting.

If you are a history buff there is the epic and excellent history of Rome by Mike Duncan. It just ended up after 179 chapters. (and a surprise new beginning for Mike at the end.)

http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/

OK, so...how do I manage to live until I'm 1000 y/o just trying to catch up?

You wait until you actually need the info and then fire up Google.

I got to a point where I couldn't keep up on podcasts. I started treating them like radio. I set iTunes to only keep the most recent episode (two episodes for a few select shows), and let the old ones fall off. If I missed 'em, I missed 'em. I stopped worrying about trying to catch up.

-SF

turmeric....don't tell everyone. combine turmeric with cauliflower for super bonus health benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.