Pointing air toward the stove cools down the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
West of Boston, MA
OK, I was trying out idea of pushing air from room toward the stove and for me it was a disaster. Here is what happened. I got the stove up to 600 degrees and then closed my damper, left the 'thermostat" open wide and pointed a small fan toward the stove, the stove went from 600 to 250 in a few minutes, I shut off the fan and within 2 minutes the stove was back up to 600 after I opened up the damper again, now closed damper and NO FAN on toward stove and it is holding at 550 or so. Did I miss something or maybe on the older Vermont Castings non catalytic stoves pointing air toward the stove does not work and in fact just acts to cool the stove. NOT hot stove, NOT warm room. I feel I am not getting all the heat out of this stove to begin with. Room is 12x20 ft room and using a Vermont Castings Resolute lll and the room gets warm slowly by one degree at a time and it can take hours to go from 62 to 68. Not sure if stove or me.

Need a ceiling fan in the room. Running mine greatly speeds up spread of warmth in room.

Use your fan to push cooler air into the room with the stove, not necessarily at the stove. Pushing the cooler air into the room will displace the warmer air out of the room and heat more of the house.

It seems very odd that the stove temp would actually drop that much that quickly. It seems more likely to me that the fan, blowing cooler air over the thermometer, lowered the reading on the thermometer but did not materially affect the temperature of the stove (in the firebox, anyway). I've been wrong before, and will be again, so take this for what it's worth.

You know what I think you are right, it was pointed down and it was toward the thermometer!!!! That is probably why it went from 250 to 600 in no time! I am an idiot!

Sandie, when you blow the cool air at the stove, that heat has to move somewhere but as you've already determined, it was probably not the stove cooling that much. It just does not seem at all possible. The thermometer? Yes.

I would not set the fan too close to the stove either. Set it way back in a doorway or hallway and run it on low speed. It works great that way.

It is true a fan will cool down the stove, but not that much (from 600 to 250 in a few minutes). It will function as a heat exchanger, just as a blower does, and like a blower you want to run it when the fire is well-established and cruising along with ample heat production. Best results will be from a fan placed on the floor.

From a few feet away, I aim a small fan not directly at the stove, but just behind it (it's in a fireplace). This pushes the heated air up and out of the hearth. It makes an amazing difference.

If anyone is dealing with excessive stove temps, it might be worth blasting a fan right at the stove. Kind of like turning on the heat when your car is overheating.

I do have a clip on fan which I have clipped to the edge of the hearth, the wood stove is now out of the hearth and in front of it so the fam is above the stove and is about 24"s from stove or less. SO should be a fan but on floor and pointed toward stove . I was thinking I would push hot air out into room but the fan on floor is drawing cold air in to exchange with hot air.
Will try the floor fan idea. This is a medium size stove so should be able to get more heat out of it. She cruises at about 500degrees when she cruises. Some times it is good some not. To my knowledge it has NEVER been cleaned so far as what is behind the fire box. I fashioned a tube to stick in the hole on left corner sideback lf stove so I could vacuum that out but the holes in the back plate of stove inside I have not vacuumed, have not taken off the back top, screws look like they round holes so ? special tool to get that off or maybe hex tool not sure though. will that affect how much heat is being radiated out to room since the stove does get to 700 but cruises at 500 once the flu is closed with thermostat is open fully.

wahoowad said:
Need a ceiling fan in the room. Running mine greatly speeds up spread of warmth in room.

Use your fan to push cooler air into the room with the stove, not necessarily at the stove. Pushing the cooler air into the room will displace the warmer air out of the room and heat more of the house.

I absolutely agree with wahoo. I have two ceiling fans in the downstairs and what a difference it makes, put on slow and in reverse. Also, just a small note, I keep our upstairs bedroom door closed the entire day (due to our animals) and at night when we get ready for bed we open the door to the BR and turn on that ceiling fan. It warms the room approx. 15deg +/- in a matter of 10-15 mins tops. They do make a big difference

sandie said:
SO should be a fan but on floor and pointed toward stove . I was thinking I would push hot air out into room but the fan on floor is drawing cold air in to exchange with hot air. Will try the floor fan idea. This is a medium size stove so should be able to get more heat out of it.

Let us know how it works - you might be amazed. I have one of those little Ecofans sitting on the stove top, trying to blow warm air out - as far as I can tell, it is useless. But when I turn on the floor fan, you can feel the rush of warm air 10 feet in front of the stove. The room temp can rise 5F in 5 minutes, easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.