1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pole Barn / Man Cave

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by golfandwoodnut, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I have been talking about this for awhile and the shell of the Pole Barn is finally done. I had to clear alot of nice trees for this but I think it was worth the effort. I probably took out about 15 large trees (oaks, maple and cherry trees) and leveled the site with my Bobcat. I was going to build it myself but when I found out I could have it built for less than I could buy the materials for I decided to let the pros do it. The crew that did this was impressive and it only took them 2 1/2 days to build, it is 24 X 40. It is big for me but small compared to alot of stuff they do. It will easily hold 4 cars and much more. I put a side garage in to make it easy to get the ATV, riding mower and Bobcat out the door without moving any vehicles. I think I may store some wood inside for the winter once I get the concrete put in. I also need to run electric yet and install downspouts. We landscaped the area to make it a little more appealing, the wife was not real happy about removing the trees.

Here is a top view:
    [​IMG]

Here is a side view:
    [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cptoneleg

cptoneleg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    Nice barn, very nice, open the door sometimes and let me look inside.
  3. pyronut

pyronut Member

Loc:
    El paso, TX
    Beauty!!! Looks great!!!
  4. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Looks great!

I plan to have a 30'x40' put up in the somewhat near future, I'd also like to put a lean-to off one side for stacking wood under. A large part of the expense is the concrete which can be done later.
  5. golfandwoodnut

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    You got a deal, more pictures to come. I am not loading it totally up until we get concrete, it is amazing how much guys want to install concrete anymore.
  6. golfandwoodnut

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I just posted about how expensive concrete is, about 1/2 the cost of the building. If you need a number for guys to install it even cheaper than I did let me know, the installers are subs and will do it for less than going through the company I bought it from. They install everywhere, as far west as Yellowstone and even build camps, A frames, lake houses etc.

A shed roof of the side would be great. I did not think I would have room for that, but it turns out I probably do, but I need the fill dirt to settle on the side. It is tough to find flat ground it Western PA.
  7. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    That is one sweet barn/mancave. What are your plans for it?
  8. golfandwoodnut

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I am not sure yet, it was built mainly to hold the Bobcat and my Pickup Truck and other toys. I do have a large garage in the bottom of the house that I plan on cleaning out and making my workshop for when I retire. It keeps pretty warm in the winter and is closer to beer, but I love going in the barn so it may take precedence. I have no current plans of finishing the inside or heating yet.
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    +1 looking for heat otherwise its for fair weather! ;-)
  10. albertj03

albertj03 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Very nice! All it needs is a TV, couch, beer fridge and of course a wood stove and you can live in there!
  11. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Very Nice.... You are going to Love it..

As far as the install/build price... Its much cheaper and timely for them to build the Garage/Barn. I had a 30 x 40 built. It is made by Cleary. Good company, great prices. I could not believe how cheap it was.. And the build cost. Barn is in the background of pic.

That and in 1 DAY it was DONE.. There is a Man door on the right side and another door on the back, same size as the front. We built it for horses, but soon realized the work involved. Got rid of the horses and have been slowly using the wood from the fence on different projects. My Woodshed (Was a Dog Kennel) and the Side-Kit on my Trailer.

Nice Set-up you got there. I am sure once your Wife see's the uses that can come out of having such a building...

Attached Files:

12. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Movin' this thread out of the Wood Shed into the Perfect Picture forum. Rick
  13. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Very nice . . . looks plenty big to hold the toys . . . at least until you buy even more toys to fill it up. ;) :)
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

GAWN; nice man cave built just in time for that early winter.

zap
  15. golfandwoodnut

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Thanks Jay, Jake, Zap and Albert, always good to hear compliments from respected members of this great forum.
  16. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Respected member of the forum . . . hehheh . . . you do know I'm a founding member of The Idiot's Club, right? :) :) But seriously . . . this looks sharp.
  17. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Yea I still want to see inside....lol
  18. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Dry storage is Primo!
    Very nice.
  19. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    very nice-seems like a lot of the responses are from posters as green as the garage! where did you ever find a matching tent for it???nice touch!
  20. golfandwoodnut

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Give me a chance the shell is just up, I will be glad to show you how it is so far.. :p
  21. golfandwoodnut

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    dave, that is a tent from my neighbors that we could not see before I cut down all the trees. My sister thought the tent was for me since my wife kicked me out of the house after having it built. :)
  22. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Is your wife part Greek ;-P , they have an old saying.

The men may be the head of the house but the women are the neck and they can turn the head anyway they want.

zap
  23. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    ;-)
    Concrete or gravel? Just checking to see if this is the next GTG Hot spot! (We are all so quite the Wife will not even know we are there) ;-)
  24. golfandwoodnut

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Jay,
    It is gravel now and getting the concrete bids now. Outside I am going to have it done in exposed aggregate so it should be cool. Would love to have you over for a few beers and chainsaw fun. I have 2 fire pits two, I will have to look into one for the barn someday. One concrete guy said a cool thing to do is run coils under the concrete and hook it up to an outside wood burner to heat the place.
  25. golfandwoodnut

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    She is Italian, probably pretty similiar hot blood. :zip: She can't believe so many guys are into looking at a barn. I told her she doesn't understand, we get excited just looking at wood piles.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.