pole saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I've decided I need a longer pole chainsaw, and would like to go gas this time, instead of electric. Lots of offerings out there from Stihl and Husqvarna, in the $600 range, but this is a tool I really only need a handful of times per year. What to do?

I have a good old hand-powered pole saw with enough extensions to reach about 50 feet, but it's a PITA to use more than I have to. I'd be happy with a 14' pole chainsaw, giving me a 20' reach. That's the majority of the pruning I need to do.

Target price in my head is $200. Am I just shopping junk at this rate?

Electric is an option, but I'll be stringing out 300 feet of cord to use the thing. !!!

Stihl's KM55 powerhead combined with the KM-HT Pole Pruner attachment is about as light and cheap as gas-powered units get without buying junk. About a $400 combo and you can toss in an extension shaft to get longer if you so desire. Telescoping units are $$ as you already know and for homeowners, the KM powerhead is useful for many other tasks as well.

Reactions: ScotO
Husqvarna 327P5X Pole Saw is what I went with.Only professional model that I know of that has quick disconnect 2 piece shaft that is a real plus when storing it & hauling in 8ft or less pickup bed.Some makes/models have a telescoping shaft,but none will be less than 7ft 9 minimum length broken down.Total length w/12" bar,137 inches.About 17 pounds total weight w/ bar & chain.I can reach just over 18 feet from the ground with it,I'm 5 ft 8 in logging boots.

Plus all Husqvarna's include a very comfortable & well designed shoulder harness,very helpful when using it for long periods.Much less strain on your back & shoulders.To my knowledge,Stihl & Echo you have to pay extra for their harnesses.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/pole-saws/327p5x/#features
Special ordered mine from Lowes 2 months ago,Dad used his 10% off veteran's card,then I paid for it with debit card from my checking account,saved me about $55 right there.Arrived in 6 days,have maybe 4-5 hours use on it so far,its a real powerhouse for its size.Last week went through a 9" dead Red Oak limb 15 ft up without any troubles,most stuff I'm pruning is the usual 2- 3" however.

Reactions: ScotO
I bought a non-running Stihl KM55R last winter off of ebay for $150.00. It came with the pole saw attachment, all I had to do was clean the spark arrestor and rebuild the carb, its more of a homeowner-grade polesaw but I use the pi$$ out of it on some jobs (esp. when working out of the bucket van) and it does just fine. I spent another $100.00 on a couple of additional extensions on ebay and I get it out to around 14'. Look on ebay, Craigslist and your local classifieds. You may find a good deal out there.

Electric is an option, but I'll be stringing out 300 feet of cord to use the thing. !!!
Portable generator? I'm sure you could justify its use elsewhere. :cool:
Other than that, can you rent one for the few times you would use it in a year?

Portable generator? I'm sure you could justify its use elsewhere. :cool:
Other than that, can you rent one for the few times you would use it in a year?

I suspect 300 feet of cord is lighter than the portable generator. :p

I should look into rental, although if I could find one in need of repair for $150, that would be the way to go. Rental is such a PITA.

I suspect 300 feet of cord is lighter than the portable generator. :p

I should look into rental, although if I could find one in need of repair for $150, that would be the way to go. Rental is such a PITA.
One of those little bitty Harbor Freight gennys might be enough to run it. Had one of those here last week. Cool unit.

After we had that snowstorm last October you couldnt find a pole saw in southern New England, then you saw a few on craigslist along with generators, maybe you can get lucky and find one on there in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.