1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Polished The Air Control Lever on the Jotul 500

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by oldogy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. oldogy

oldogy Member

Loc:
    SE TN
    This the second year for my Jotul 500. My chimney sweep and I installed it as the selling dealer thought it was a bit too far for his guys to travel. From day one the air control valve was much harder to operate than I thought it should be. Selling dealer said, "normal." I figured BS on that but thought it may get easier when broken in. Didn't get any easier so this year I disassembled the valve and lever. I found the lever had not been smoothed, in fact had areas on the camming surfaces that were rough. I took the most of the rough surface off with a file and then polished with 600 wet or dry paper. Results are in, a very easily operating air control. Should have done this last year.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    That's cool! Most people just use some graphite power. It's nice to fix it right though.
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    If you were too far to install, you're probably too far to service. This is far from the first example of crummy dealer service. I wonder if Jotul is good to work with outside the dealer. Some are, some aren't. From the looks of things, you might be able to handle most problems yourself anyway. Good job. And welcome. And thanks for sharing. It will probably help someone else with the same problem.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'm glad you posted this. Our Castine's air control was very smooth so I didn't have to address this issue, but a few Jotul owners have reported it here. I wondered about the roughness of the castings under the slider valve on these stoves.