POLL: How often are you burning your stove this fall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How often have you burned your stove this fall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cincinnati Kid

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Way too warm to burn here in Cincinnati. Daily temps in the 60's. Probably won"t fire up the stoves until December sometime.

How about you?

Didn't bother to vote, didn't have my answer. Started it up for test burn, ran it overnight, shut it down, ran 6 days to try out Corinth pellets, shut it down, cleaned it might start it again this weekend, or not if it stays warm.

Mine is on thermostat and runs as needed Auto/Off. Just been on in the am to take off the chill mostly. Last few days it has also run a little in the evenings. Just before I get home. Keepimg the house at 70º

Its been ready to go 24/7 since the 10th of Oct. Seemed a little early this year. I will change the Auto/Off to High/Low once its in the Low 30's for daytime highs.

jay

Cincinnati Kid said:
Way too warm to burn here in Cincinnati. Daily temps in the 60's. Probably won"t fire up the stoves until December sometime.

How about you?

This week we have been running it in the evenings. Past two weeks was 24/7 cause its been cold as my wife says or just damp.

BTW: Oil boiler has only run 2-1/2 hours and one of that was when they did their testing on the tune-up, the other 1-1/2 was becasue they left the thermostat on.

Been running the XXV for a few hours here and there just to get the
chill out of the house in the early mornings.
Still too warm to run it full time.

been running steady since 15 September, 45 bags used so far..................................

mines been running 24/7 since early October.
Days are about 45 to 50 F and nights have been 20-40F outside.

I was running mine 24/7 but we have some high 50F days here so I run it all nite on low, put it up to #6 for 1/2 hour every morning to clean out the soot and get the house WARM (real warm) then shut it off until late afternoon.

Been running 24/7 on a programmable thermostat for a good part of this month. Have had some cool nights this October in central Maine.

it's been cold in northern maine. I have been running on t-stat for more than a month. using 1/2 to 1 bag a day.

its nice to come in and be warm.

wife and kids freeze when it gets below 50 degrees.. So far I have burned 25 bags this month..

I get home from work around 5:30pm and turn it on to heat up the house, then turn it off before bed, just to take the chill off.

I voted in your poll, but i'm not using a pellet stove. I burn my wood in larger pieces. and more work involved. but WAY CHEAPER. High tomorrow forcasted at being 22 degrees. overnight low at 11. home heated with stoves. Not sure if you even wanted the input from a wood burner, as this is the pellet house.

PINEBURNER said:
I voted in your poll, but i'm not using a pellet stove. I burn my wood in larger pieces. and more work involved. but WAY CHEAPER. High tomorrow forcasted at being 22 degrees. overnight low at 11. home heated with stoves. Not sure if you even wanted the input from a wood burner, as this is the pellet house.

You're welcome here, too.

I'm a "former" woodburner but the years caught up with me. Could never do it today unless I had some land and someone to cut and split it for me.

Plus I no longer have to maintain two chainsaws, buy bar oil, gas for the saws and splitter, no investsment in a splitter, HD pickup, etc. If you have to buy your wood pellets may even be cheaper.

rottiman said:
been running steady since 15 September, 45 bags used so far..................................

G'day Rottiman! I was born in Pembroke a long time ago. Is Billy Higgy still alive? I think I read he died. Nice to see someone else from the valley on here. I've been burning my stove every day for a month as well. about a bag a day.

I've been burning for the past month, about 2-3cf/day as long as its below 40 deg at night while we watch tv. Keeps the house warm to about 70 when I get up, and by golly the house holds the heat to about 65-68 in the day. A couple of times I've overdone it, and got forced out the room.

I'm wasting wood, but I can't help myself. I'm too damn excited.

Were burning now temps going down low 20's house is 72 deg warmer than propane. We can leave stove on so house is 70-72, never hotter than 68 with propane.
On fourth bag since 10/01/09
Love the heat.

Cincinnati Kid said:

How about you?

I bet you fire on it, before December!!!

Just a few bags. We've gotten a couple of days of raw weather and rain. Stove takes the chill off and heat stays in the house for a while. I expect we'll see the temps dip in another week or two.

Bought a new stove and went through 25 bags in 20 days, almost 24/7. It's been down in the 20's. The last few days are a good
reprieve from the cold. It's been in the 30's at night and warm in the day, so the stove has been off for 1/2 the time. I start it at night
again at a lower setting. ( app. 2 lbs. per hour) (1160 sq. ft. per floor x 2 floors). I think I'll put a new studio downstairs. Love the pellet heat.

Stove is on pretty much all the time now...I started up the new stove beginning of October and my wife hasn't let me turn it off since :)

I have mine set on a set back T-stat so it's off most of the day when we're not home it's not on and at night, I have it set back as as well. Day temps, for the most part, are still climbing into the high 40's, low 50's so stove is not actually on that much, just a few hours in the morning and evening.

When stove is on, temps are an almost even 70 dgrees...a bit too warm for me...I like the house around 68.

Running 24/7 on thermostat (comes on mostly in the morning to take the chill off).

Been firing up the stove around 8PM and burning on the lowest setting through the night shutting down at 7am. House is still usually 60-65 degrees inside when I get home from work. Have burned through 12 bags of Greene Team which I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with the quality. Low ash, good heat and it takes 36-48 hours of burning to put a haze on the glass.

jtakeman said:
Mine is on thermostat and runs as needed Auto/Off. Just been on in the am to take off the chill mostly. Last few days it has also run a little in the evenings. Just before I get home. Keepimg the house at 70º....

Same thing here as Jay mentioned. On programmed T-stat, on in AM to warm things up, and as needed during the day to keep at 70....doesn't run much....yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.