Polyurethane and stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmboy05

Jan 31, 2014
North Central Iowa
We're working on our living room. We've gone down to the original wood floor, sanded and stained. The next step is to apply polyurethane, but we are also going to be installing a stove into the corner (Drolet Escape). My question is, do we apply the polyurethane before or after we put in the cement/fire board (and tile) that will go under the stove? Or really, does it even matter?

We would like to apply it before just incase if we needed to take the stove out sometime, we won't have to worry about matching up the poly. My fear is with how fumy the poly is when applying, and with below freezing temps for the forecasted future, that it would take forever and a day to get the fumes out of the house. So it might be better to get the stove in and just apply the poly when it warms up enough to open all the windows. But any advice would be appreciated as to whether it's better one way or the other.

Thank you in advance!

My worry would be that the cement board would stick to the new poly under it and ruin the finish anyway if you later pulled it up.
Have you considered a water-based poly? You really should.
The fumes are minimal. They work just as well as oil-based polys, and they don't yellow with age like oil-based polys do which would certainly show if you pulled up the cement board later. You can also apply multiple coats without need for sanding in between if you time it right. Oil based stains can be used under water-based poly and the polys that contain aluminum oxide particles are very scratch resistant.

Reactions: farmboy05
WaterBourne Poly is the best, if you use a stain, use a water based stain otherwise the waterbourne wont bond ( oil to water )
WaterBourne drys fast and is super hard and durable.

The only other finish would be aluminum oxide urethane, it is like steel when dried.Its usually sprayed on for a smooth even coat, usually 3 or 4 coats, dries fairly fast,

WaterBourne Poly is the best, if you use a stain, use a water based stain otherwise the waterbourne wont bond ( oil to water )
Water based polys work well over oil based stains. Water-based stains tend to raise the wood grain which necessitates more sanding for a smooth finish. We used Min-wax oil stain under a Varathane diamond water-based poly with great results. I believe Varathane recommended the use of an oil based stain.

Reactions: SONOCATIVO
Water based polys work well over oil based stains. Water-based stains tend to raise the wood grain which necessitates more sanding for a smooth finish. We used Min-wax oil stain under a Varathane diamond water-based poly with great results. I believe Varathane recommended the use of an oil based stain.
Yes, I did forget that the water based stain can cause the wood fibers to swell which then requires an additional light sanding.

I did use an oil based stain already. We applied a water based poly this weekend and everything turned out amazing! The stove I'm installing only requires ember protection so we've got cement board down and i have to run to town tonight to pick up more mud to lay the bricks (paver stones actually). I'll post pictures of the process (long, long process) once everything is done and we have our first fire.

Thank you all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.