Poor burn Tarm excel 2000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marv

Feb 18, 2009
Central NY
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I am having issues with my Tarm not able to heat the boiler to a it's normal temperature of 180º. This unit is over 16 years old and has served me well. It seems that the draft is the problem. I cleaned the stove recently (like I do approximately every 6 months), and checked the chimney (clear). I thought that my draft fan was weak, and had it replaced (changed from 24v. to 120v.) After a $485.00 bill, it doesn't seem to be much better. I talked to Tarm tech, and found out that the ceramic fire box typically needs to be replaced after a time. This has not been done on my unit.

It may be that a number of issues have come together at the same time:

1. I may have a wood moisture problem. I did not get enough wood in this past summer due to a death in the family, and ended up buying some to get through. I did check the moisture content of 5 or 6 pieces and found them to be anywhere between 14 - 25%

2. ceramic needs replacement? Typical replacement is 7-12 years

3. draft fan weak (fixed)

Of course the first concern is to try and get it working again (I'm burning oil)
The bigger question is: is it worth replacing the ceramic (probably $1000.00 w/ labor) and then finding out that boiler is thin and starts to leak due to age. Is this replacement something I could do myself?

Anyone with experience similar to this, comments?

Thanks in advance.

I would try really dry wood first. It really makes a difference in the whopping 2 weeks of experience I have running my new unit. It took 4 or 5 burn cycles for mine to really start putting out the heat. Wonder if a similar (re)break-in period applies to boilers that have been sitting unused for a long time? Also, is the aquastat that kicks on your circulator pump set high enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.