Poor Man's Equinox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
You don't necessarily have to spend a fortune to have a large firebox stove in your living room. This one is for sale locally for a hundred bucks.

Anybody know where I can get the manual for it for the insurance company and the inspector?

Attachments

• barrel 2.jpg
    barrel 2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 518
  • barrel 1.jpg
    barrel 1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 526
After I finish the 4 foot extension to my hearth, I might give the guy a call.

Nice to sit and look at in your living room.

I especially like that 2X8 or so the back legs are standing on to keep it level. Some people have all the luck. If I put this thing in the bed of my truck my home would respond with bursting into flames.

Are those tiles just laying on the carpet? :lol:

With a good hot fire burning, I bet you could get that stove white hot and light up the room, you would save a bunch on electricty. :coolsmirk:

Does he have another picture that shows the EPA tag better?

SolarAndWood said:
Does he have another picture that shows the EPA tag better?

I actually had one just like it in the basement here for several years. The sucker burned so hot that it didn't smoke and the chimney tiles looked like the day they were installed.

woodgeek said:
After I finish the 4 foot extension to my hearth, I might give the guy a call.

didn't you see the cement pavers under it? I'm sure they come with.

BrotherBart said:
I actually had one just like it in the basement here for several years. The sucker burned so hot that it didn't smoke and the chimney tiles looked like the day they were installed.

How much wood did you burn?

SolarAndWood said:
BrotherBart said:

How much wood did you burn?

It would eat a lot of it fast. I mostly only fired it off when I was going to be working in the basement for a while. Or to drift a little heat up the stairs in milder weather.

What a great deal at $100 when you can buy the kit new for $79.50

I have a double barrel stove like that in our barn, (unhooked or course) that dad heated our old house for years with. He said it worked well, but not sure how much wood he went through. Nothing I would want to use, but if it came down to the nitty gritty, it would produce heat. Not the safest thing.

have you guys ever seen a shenandoah stove? the construction is very similar, thin steel, throws crazy heat, eats wood (epa exempt actually!), and requires exactly two nautical miles of clearance to anything combustable...but it does have a ul tag...

summit said:
have you guys ever seen a shenandoah stove? the construction is very similar, thin steel, throws crazy heat, eats wood (epa exempt actually!), and requires exactly two nautical miles of clearance to anything combustable...but it does have a ul tag...

And everybody that has ever had one loves them. Many still getting it done 20 years later. I had not actually ever seen one until I went into the local stove shop this week. He now has one on the floor. They still have something that the big boys don't. A thermostat for the primary air. He won't sell Englander anymore because they sell to the big box stores but he now has Shenandoah. I just grinned. I love the guy, bought my monster Sierra insert from his daddy in 1985, but I am not going to tell him how to run his store.

Now if he will just sell me that Mansfield floor model cheap...

I like the white door ;) Somehow, don't think thats paint ;)

Anyone here recall the old "blue tin" stoves (actually, thin bluish sheetmetal) from the 1970s / 80s? Compared to those, these Doppleganger barrel stoves are OSHA champs! I stayed in a cabin in the Santa Cruz. mtns. for a few days. The oval shaped blue tin stove wasn't even near new, looked like the metal was getting even thinner in places (rust) and actually glowed orange w/ a decent fire going. Warmed the room nice, tho'.

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:
Anyone here recall the old "blue tin" stoves (actually, thin bluish sheetmetal) from the 1970s / 80s? Compared to those, these Doppleganger barrel stoves are OSHA champs! I stayed in a cabin in the Santa Cruz. mtns. for a few days. The oval shaped blue tin stove wasn't even near new, looked like the metal was getting even thinner in places (rust) and actually glowed orange w/ a decent fire going. Warmed the room nice, tho'.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Had one of those too. Pretty much every hardware store used to sell them. Get it cranking and the side would glow red and the flap on top where you dropped in the wood would start popping up and down. Laying a brick on top of it fixed it though. The famous Tin Stove. Couldn't forget to line the bottom with sand so it wouldn't burn through.

We have heated with a Franklin stove, a barrel stove, a tin stove and many years with the classic smoke dragon dumping into a masonry chimney. Stayed warm and the house is still here. But spent a fortune on those anti-creosote spray bottles. And had some rather mild but interesting chimney fires.

BrotherBart said:
summit said:

And everybody that has ever had one loves them. Many still getting it done 20 years later. I had not actually ever seen one until I went into the local stove shop this week. He now has one on the floor. They still have something that the big boys don't. A thermostat for the primary air. He won't sell Englander anymore because they sell to the big box stores but he now has Shenandoah. I just grinned. I love the guy, bought my monster Sierra insert from his daddy in 1985, but I am not going to tell him how to run his store.

Now if he will just sell me that Mansfield floor model cheap...

we get about 1dozen a year thru a local distributor.. its something that someone in a jam who is dirt broke can buy.. and people do love them, but it think they are probably best suited to a camp / workshop kind application.. actually thats hwere most end up when aforementioned people get a better/safer one a few years down the road.

summit said:
we get about 1dozen a year thru a local distributor.. its something that someone in a jam who is dirt broke can buy.. and people do love them, but it think they are probably best suited to a camp / workshop kind application.. actually thats hwere most end up when aforementioned people get a better/safer one a few years down the road.

At the eight hundred buck price he had on it there are a few much better stoves out there for a little more that people should be buying. Well, except for that thermostat. Somebody needs to come up with a universal one of those that fits the OAK intake on a bunch of stoves.

(BB) At the eight hundred buck price he had on it there are a few much better stoves out there for a little more that people should be buying. Well, except for that thermostat. Somebody needs to come up with a universal one of those that fits the OAK intake on a bunch of stoves.[/quote]

there is your million dollar idea, BB!! Lemme know when the $$ start coming in, and you can fly me down to clean your chimney in the gulfstream..

Status
Not open for further replies.