Poorly seated top....who would have thought

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
So, brought in a stove doctor this weekend to have a good look at my stove to try and solve the top issues. To my naked eye, it appeared that the top had warped, but I was wrong apparently.

After looking at the stove, the doctor determined that the top had been poorly seated (not just by me, but also on the original top the service tech had replaced on the stove). He also saw that the gasket on the new top had not been installed correctly.

The doctor performed some minor surgery on the stove by grinding down some slag on the corners and the back plate. He reseated the top dry and we did a light test...no light. Then he placed the gasket and seated the top
With the gasket...another light test, no light.

Last night, even though it was 55 degrees outside, I started a fire, turned off the lights in the basement and sat and watched for the problems I had in the past. Got her up to 450 or so, no sign of the problem. I am hoping for one last night in the 40s so I can do a full burn to see how it performs on a full burn.

Looks like things are solved.....and I now have the number of a true professional should I have problems in the future.

Good news, indeed. I know you've been wrestling with this for some time...very frustrating. Keep that guy's business card for sure (the stove doctor), and throw the other guy's away (the service tech). ;lol (I took the liberty of correcting the spelling of the word "poorly" in your thread title...hope you don't mind, I'm sure you were excited and in a hurry). I'm glad that your stove's looking good so far. Rick

Good news, indeed. I know you've been wrestling with this for some time...very frustrating. Keep that guy's business card for sure (the stove doctor), and throw the other guy's away (the service tech). ;lol (I took the liberty of correcting the spelling of the word "poorly" in your thread title...hope you don't mind, I'm sure you were excited and in a hurry). I'm glad that your stove's looking good so far. Rick

Thanks for the correction...I went in to change it and could not pull up the title.

Yes, quite a relief so far. I plan on keeping his number on quick dial going forward. I really want to get a good burn in, though, just to be certain, but I have confidence in the work that was done.

Congrats Remkel! I am confident your stove will be 100%!

Ray

Aha! that is what I suspected. That seal has to be good for the stove to work correctly. Great to hear that the problem is solved! Does this mean you don't have to sleep on the couch anymore? ;) Happy burning!

Only for other self inflicted punishments :)

Reactions: pen and tfdchief
Hopefully this is a new start for you and the issues you have had before will be in the past.

Yeah, the gasketing is new to me. It was quite interesting how much time was spent seating the top. The stove doctor metidculously placed the gasketing so it sat centered around the entire top. It is a little different than rebuilding the old Vigilant.

Hopefully I will not have to do this again for. Long, long time.

Reactions: tfdchief
Rem, I sure as hell hope next heating season is easier on you than these last two.

Reactions: remkel
Status
Not open for further replies.