Poplar Worth the Scrounge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all relative. Its not a good burning wood. If you can get something better do it. If you can't then get it. I wouldn't go out of my way to get poplar. I would go out of my way to get white oak, black locust, osage orange, hickory. But I have a couple of acres that I can always scounge a couple of low quality firewood trees from.

If it's easy to get to your home, free and you have the space I would go for it . . . as mentioned it is a "soft" hardwood which means it will burn up faster but it makes for great Fall/Spring fires or fires for when you are home. Dad used to burn a lot of poplar (which around here is technically quaking aspen or in the aspen family) in his wood furnace . . . as a kid I liked it since it split cleanly when green (although we had a wood splitter so splitting wasn't all that hard) and more importantly it was lighter than some of the other wood.

On the otherhand if it was out of your way, you had to pay for it or your space was limited in terms of how much wood you could store at your home I might pass . . . but from the sounds of it this is close to you, free and you have the storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.