popping popcorn over or on woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
anyone pop popcorn on woodstove top????
Do those popcorn boxes work okay? Those metal rectangular ones with a long handle ????
Saw one ued weeks ago. But was concerned it was "telfon" lining or coating>>>>
Went back to check it out other day, and it was gone from the vendors booth at an indoor flea mkt
Anyone?
Thanks
Jean

If there was teflon on it, I wouldn't be interested.

Never used one of those boxes, but with enough of them around, I'm guessing they worked. However, they were meant to be over an open flame or coals instead of a stove top I believe. Not sure how effect they'd be on a stove top since I can't see using oil in one of them.

I've made popcorn in a dutch oven with just enough oil in the bottom to coat, let it get hot but not burnt (test w/ a kernel or 2) then throw about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of kernals in (depending on the size of your dutch oven) once they start popping it takes some movement of the dutch oven (ove gloves or welding gloves help here) to keep the unpopped kernels in the oil and the popped ones moving upwards in the dutch oven.

My concern with this would be the movement of dutch oven could mar up the stove surface. However, if the stove is hot enough it could be done in a trivet which may help protect the stove.

Here's a similar method using a metal bowl which may actually work even better/quicker and might not mar the stove surface since it's lighter, I've just never tried it. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/perfect-popcorn-recipe/index.html

When I make homemade popcorn, I like putting finely grated Parmesan cheese and melted butter. .

pen

Reactions: ScotO
We use one of these it works great.

Pete

Attachments

• 4153Z0G472L._SX355_.jpg
    4153Z0G472L._SX355_.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 317
I have got to get me a Whitley pop! I just added the red one to my Amazon wish list.

Status
Not open for further replies.