Porcelain Tile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheIndian

Jan 11, 2018
Long Island
Hi All,
Having a gas fireplace (25K btu) installed/vented soon. Once it is in place I will finish up the hearth. I originally wanted to use a cultured stone product for hearth but soon realized that it would weigh too much since it is on the second floor of my house. My second option is porcelain tile. Do you guys think porcelain tile will stand up to the task? I am thinking it will and many have told me the same. What do you guys think?
Thanks for your help,
Chris

I say go for it too and that's what I am going get for my wall when I do it..It looks clean and easy to wipe off as well and all kinds of different designs and colors as well. I believe it would stay sticking well too not toooo heavy...clancey

Reactions: TheIndian
If porcelain tile doesn't stand up to the task, I don't know what ever would. That is some tough stuff! Just be sure to use a porcelain tile specific thinset mortar. I accidentally grabbed a bag of ceramic tile thinset and found out it doesn't stick to porcelain well.

Reactions: TheIndian
Wow do not know that would make a difference Corey--thanks...I will not be doing the work ( I am worthless-lol) but i will make sure that is what is used...clancey

Didn't know that either...thanks Corey.
And thanks All for the replies. Really great resource this forum!

At this point the unit has been vented, plumbed and juiced. Going to begin framing with steel studs asap. Will post some pics...

Thx again.

Television and table will be moved of course.
DSCN2695.JPG

thumbnail_2A7B7983-F171-4F42-9365-0503D6F01EA3.jpg