Finally bit the bullet and bought a portable generator for power outages. Now, I can just run extension cords to what I want (Frig, etc) , but my main reason for having it is for my well pump so we can have water and that is hard wired. So I'm looking into a transfer switch and having an electrician come out and this will cost more than what I paid for the generator. ARG! Or maybe I can have the well rewired to an outlet? Might be cheaper? Anybody have experience putting in a transfer switch and recepticle for a portable generator? Any tips or advice?