Portage & Main owners.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heaterman

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2007
Falmouth, Michigan
Just spent about a half hour on the phone with a guy who has had a couple Portage & Main boilers which he has had problems with.
I'm trying to figure out what is going on with his unit and wondering if any P&M owners could chime in here and let me know if you've had any issues and what in particular they were.

Thanks in advance.

I have run my P&M for 3 years with no issues. Biggest pita is cleaning but if done every week or two not bad. What is his issue,is he using dry wood has he cleaned out the air intake this can keep the flapper open and fire will keep burning as well as the gaskets on the doors air will enter and feed fire.
If you can tell us what issues he is having may be more help.

Whitepine2

As I understand it the first unit burned the bottom out of it in the first season. The second unit is currently leaking enough water into the firebox to put out the fire.
Moisture meter says 15-20% so no issues there.
I am not here to bash the product....Trying to get some clues as to what might have happened, especially to the second unit.

WOW never herd of any leaking,what model is he running mine is a 250.Yes the nozzels will need changing I have a new one on hand as we speak but only after 3 years of running.and still going. As for the leak did he ever test the water and is it grounded well. My first OWB never tested and did not ground it rusted away but took 5-6 years not a P&M a Mohonan. Has he talked to P&M builders they have been really good with helping me may-be they can help him out.

As I understand it, the first unit he had was a 450. I don't know exactly what the problem was with that unit but from what the owner told me the gasification chamber (?) basically melted down. P&M replaced it with a 350 and that is the unit that is leaking.

Last edited:
Wow, that guy has some bad luck, maybe some bad water quality, hope he is only burning dry cordwood in them.

IMO, melting a boiler only happens from firing it without water, burning something else in it, or having something go awry like a failed blower control or serious gasket leak, etc.

I work at a trash to energy power plant. If we blow a super heater (steam) tube, we have to keep feedwater flowing untill we burn the fire out slowly. Similar, if we blow a water wall tube, there is zero hope of maintaining a water inventory in the furnace or steam drum, but we still keep feedwater flowing to cool whatever we can. If it's a loss of all power (black plant) we use the diesel fire pump and put the fire out if necessary.

I don't understand what or why he must be running too hot and or burning rocket fuel??? Some people
should not operate equipment they don't have a clue of how things work. It seems like this guy is one of them can't understand what is going on but seems like he needs to work with someone near him and get some instruction on correct operation.

I think there were issues with the 450's as they are no longer made or at least not listed on the website. As far as I know P&M made it right and took care of all the 450 owners in good shape.
What's going on with the 350.....I don't know and because of that, I won't speculate. I have not personally seen what happened.
The owner told me the local Portage and Main dealer has been great to work with. No problems there whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.