Posch PackFix- Automated Packing of Wood on Pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. There are a couple guys around me that advertise palletised (is that a word?) firewood on Craig's List. They also claim to be able to put it anywhere you want. the pictures show it wrapped in plastic though. At least the netting would allow moisture to escape. As I recall they are the most expensive guys around too. I'll keep an eye out for their CL ads.

I would like to be able to cut, buck, split and stack right at the tree. Then not have to touch the splits in that stack until they are put into the stove. Wheel to the seasoning area -> to the wood shed -> to the stove.

It would have to be something inexpensive. No fleet of baggage carts or rough terrain forklifts. Hand truck and some way to bind the stack. Or something like that.

I bet somebody someplace is doing this or has done it.

Packing/stacking on pallets has become more visible these days for sure. I think that occasional fireplace burners like this the best as they can have it dropped in the garage.

NewBoiler said:
Question is, as a customer, would you be willing to pay extra to have your wood delivered on pallets (wrapped in netting for drying), and placed anywhere in your yard? No stacking required.

No.

In fact I would prefer to not have it in this packaging.

That's the same packaging a landscape supplier down the road is getting some stone.
The belgian blocks were stacked and square but these random brown stones were palletized round just like that.

small house, small lot - that might be nice and it certainly cuts down on some handling and stacking labor

Theres a seller in my area that sells kiln dried like that, way too expensive but I suppose if your in a fix it may be worth it.

I thought about stacking on small pallets, then wrapping with the orange construcking fencing. I would have to get a fork lift attachment for my 3ph. One of my concerns (although a little crazy) would be looking at all the palletized bundles sitting around for years. They are not very nice to look at. Conventionally stacked firewood is nice to look at, they add to the landscape!
For a business, palletized sounds like a no brainer to me.

Me personally . . . stacking is among my favorite part of burning wood . . . and even if I bought wood I'm not sure I would be so keen on the wood just being bundled in this way as it would be a bit of a challenge I would think to determining exactly how much wood I have bought.

That said . . . I could see the certain appeal to some buyers -- especially low volume buyers . . . everything is neat and tidy in a package with no stacking required by the user . . . a pallet can be dropped anywhere they want and they simply pull wood off the top.

I wouldn't be willing to pay more - but I do see it as a convience. Especially if it were brought to the house and put into the garage with pallet jacks.

I currently stack on pallets and would love to simply pallet jack and cart them into the shed without them falling over. Having to restack it all over again is a pain, but it allows me to clear all the critters out of the stacks, before moving the wood into my garage. With this set up, you could still get mice and chipmunk nests inside that would be a turn off to customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.