Possible discussion topics for the New Year...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NE x SW loading: if that's the geographic orientation of my stove, will I have problems?

Pacific Energy's EBT Technology: do you have to understand it for it to work?

How cold do you want to be? Testing Blaze King's burn time claims

Pine: Keeping the population down in Western states.

Cat vs non-cat: the recipes of Indonesia

Outside Combustion Air: If I don't need it, do I need it?

Buying "seasoned" wood from total strangers: a good idea?

Magic Heat Stovepipe Heat Reclaimers Sales Plummet: what happened to Pook?

NE x SW loading: if that's the geographic orientation of my stove, will I have problems?
That IS the orientation of my stove so no problem here. Not like Left or Right. Your Right or my Right?

Does it work? If so, how?

No comment.

Sure, sounds good. What popluation? Human, Pine, or beetle?

Cats are necessary to keep the mice population down. Are there more mice in Indonesia?

You need it, just don't know that you need it.

Seasoned wood is seasoned regardless of who you buy it from. Most everyone I know is a crook so my chances are better with a stranger.

Magic Heat Stovepipe Heat Reclaimers Sales Plummet: what happened to Pook?
He got banned. I miss him like I miss a 'roid I had removed.

Adding:

Apples & Oranges - the science of comparing stove operating temperatures among ridiculously dissimilar stoves, using different thermometer types and locations, and largely inaccurate thermometers.

Sour Grapes - the endless discussion of how much I could have saved on my stove if only...

Mixed Fruit - the infinite superiority of box elder, basswood or ? as fuel wood species.

-----

Good ones Tom. Happy New Year to you and the crew.

Will I get busted if my stove is in the far right or far left of the living room.

Does it have to work for you to understand it? :)

Can I heat my bathroom on SuperCedars only?

Followed by a talk on how to store the released energy of a chimney fire.

Soap making from ashes class soon to be started in the DIY forum.

My flue sucks and my OAK is cold. Is this thing built up side down?

Only if it's pepperwood (though bay is sweet).

Magic Heat Stovepipe Heat Reclaimers Sales Plummet: what happened to Pook?[/quote]
Called back to the motherplanet for cleaning of the extraterrestial flues that got clogged with stardust.

Adding:

Apples & Oranges - the science of comparing stove operating temperatures among ridiculously dissimilar stoves, using different thermometer types and locations, and largely inaccurate thermometers.
We can use overnight burn times as a control to calibrate those other tests. If can nurse a tiny coal into a raging fire 3 days later, does that mean I have 3 day burn time? House size and R-factor is not a factor. Neither is outside temperature.

Sour Grapes - the endless discussion of how much I could have saved on my stove if only...
I thought the discussion was how much YOU could not possibly have saved on your heat bill. If I can't reach it, it must not be attainable.

Mixed Fruit - the infinite superiority of box elder, basswood or ? as fuel wood species.
I think Boxelder and Basswood are in the vegetable family. Cherry, Osage Orange, and your various "Nut" trees are fruit. Everybody except a nut case knows that.

Should I use an insulated liner?

Can I put my LCD 5" away from my stove?

CarbonNeutral said:
Should I use an insulated liner?

Can I put my LCD 5" away from my stove?

Ahh - must stick to the format :) Here is my version of yours:

The Minimalist - Can I avoid using an insulated liner? Anything else I can leave off?

Picture in Picture - Just how close can I put my LCD TV to the stove?

And my own contribution

The ANALyst - How many useless statistics do you collect about your stove and what do they mean to me?

Hot time in the old town tonight? - Reports of chimney fire and speculations about cause(s) and bias in the reporting...

If Home Depot Starts Selling Blaze Kings, Will They Still Be Good Stoves?

Which season for best seasoning? Should I only season my wood in the summer or let it season in the spring, fall & winter also?
I use the all-spice method now.

Dry snow issue If the wood has dry snow on it, will it still burn OK & help put out the chimney fire?

Why Heat Doesn't Travel from South to North in the Northern Hemishpere: An introduction into the mysterious effects of Earth's magnetic field and the Coriolus Effect on convective and radiative heat transfer, and how this dictates appliance location in your home.

author="thechimneysweep" date="1262469329

Don't blame BlazeKing that your home is not insulated adequately.

Its 21c in the house and -25c outside. Stove is set at 1.75 8hrs on pine @ this setting, no fan required. :coolgrin:
Glad that's settled. Someone can answer the rest.

To cover or not to cover – that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The rains and snows of outrageous weather,

Or to take cover against a sea of elements

And, by cross-stacking, end them.

fossil said:
Why Heat Doesn't Travel from South to North in the Northern Hemishpere: An introduction into the mysterious effects of Earth's magnetic field and the Coriolus Effect on convective and radiative heat transfer, and how this dictates appliance location in your home.

5 points deducted for not using the term "stoichiometric".

Replenishing the Earth's internal heat: Why the right place for your stove is in your unfinished basement!

Avoid unsightly weed growth indoors: Don't burn those bark chips, trade your living room carpet for mulch.

Removing hot ashes in a hurry: Can I use my shop vac?

Whose is larger? My rounds take up less space than your splits.

Hey y'all, have you seen this video I just found this brand new yooootube video of someone with an insanely dangerous splitter

Silly me... I thought we were s'pose to actually discuss...

Keeping the inside of the stove looking new: How do you guys keep that showroom look?

Chimney cap: OMG, my chimney cap turned black. Should I use oven cleaner to clean it?

Four-way: anyone convert their Fiskars to four-way?

Horizontal versus Vertical: Why lift the rounds when you can split horizontal with your Fiskars?

Walking safely with a Fiskars: Over the shoulder or down at your side? What PPE do you use when carrying?

LLigetfa said:
Four-way: anyone convert their Fiskars to four-way?

Horizontal versus Vertical: Why lift the rounds when you can split horizontal with your Fiskars?

Walking safely with a Fiskars: Over the shoulder or down at your side? What PPE do you use when carrying?

....And when carrying a Fiskars do you need a C/C permit?

woodgeek said:
Replenishing the Earth's internal heat: Why the right place for your stove is in your unfinished basement!

Avoid unsightly weed growth indoors: Don't burn those bark chips, trade your living room carpet for mulch.

Removing hot ashes in a hurry: Can I use my shop vac?

++ :) LOL ++

The stove hit 900. Why am I still cold?
How hot is hot, and will my stove know it?

Are guys and gals on Hearth.com my real friends?
They communicate with me everyday, but I don't know their phone numbers.
What is a friend, and where have they all gone?

"Honey, are we talking about wood again?"
Is she crazy or am I?[/b]

New Bullet, Axe & Saw Proof Gloves: - discussion of new Kevlar, ceramic faced, stainless steel wire screen, insulated gloves with suction cup handle grippers
to use for making kindling with the chain saw or tooth picks with an axe. $65.99/pr
Comes with 1 Free "gloves in a bottle"
http://www.glovesinabottle.com/

If your over 65 do your know more about burning or is the learning curve inverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.