Possible Problems???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bears12th

Feb 28, 2008
Eastern Connecticut
Newbie here, so sorry for the lame question. I have spent some time researching my self installation of a Jotul Winterport 350 in my small ranch in Eastern Connecticut. I slipped up on one issue, the total height of my chimney. It is about 13 feet and meets all requirments for the 10/2 rule, however in the installation instructions it lists a minimum of 15 feet needed (just great, right). So here are my questions.

Chimney is in good shape, just a little short. I am going with flex SS liner with Kaowool 1/2 inch wrapped around because of the short chimney and draft issues in the past (moved in 2 years ago and have noticed in the fireplace a little smoke with a traditional fire in the fireplace). Got a block off plate that will be installed as well around the damper area as many discussions here have recommended. So with the SS liner, Kaowool wrapped around the entire liner and block off plate, have I done a good job in trying to adjust for the lack of height of my brick chimney? Am I breaking any codes by putting this into this shorter chimney or is this just a recommendation by Jotul? Have put a call into the inspector to ask the same questions, but he never seems to be in and I live in a smaller town that encourages this type of relaxation (great to live in, not so awsome when you got questions). Anything else or other issues anyone sees that I could or should do while I am tooling around in my chimney, I love to play like this, so any advice is taken with a smile. Hope to really get started with the prep and process this weekend and possibly finishing the project by next weekend. Thanks!!!!

Thanks for any advice and perspective and look forward to the input. Thanks.

Assuming everything else is up to snuff - you will probably find that you will need that extra height of the chimney in order to get the stove drafting properly. I'm not sure what is readily available to extend the flex liner, but one way would be with the extend-a-flue (and they look pretty good too).

http://www.extendaflue.com/

Is the chimney interior or exterior? If exterior, performance may be improved, but will probably still be balky at times. If an interior chimney, worth a try to see how she runs. As Harley noted, a chimney pot can be added to extend the flue a couple feet and still look good.

Oh yeah, forgot that.....chimney is exterior. I like the pot idea of the extendaflue, with the exception of it helping the draft is it needed per code? Is the 15 ft minimum requirement found in the Jotul manual a code or simply a recomendation. I am leaning towards installing and seeing how it works and if we have persistent or occasional issues then perhaps looking at the extendaflue as a cure to the drafting issue. In otherwords, going ahead with the install before taking the extendaflue step wouldn't be against code, but just perhaps against maximizing drafting and burning capacity and ability.

Am I correct in this thinking.

Thanks

I think it's what they recommend based on their testing. The taller the chimney, the stronger the draft. The chimney is half of your stove system, and if there isn't a strong enough draft to pull air through your stove, it won't operate properly.

-SF

I do not believe that it is a code rather it is what they found that that stove drafts well enough to operate properly and predictably.

Check your stove manual to see where they measure the total chimney height from. Many stoves measure from the bottom of the firebox to the top of the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.