Possible purchase of an OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley

Minister of Fire
Apr 11, 2006
Ashfield, MA
Nope... not for me.... not yet anyway

A co-worker of mine is looking for some information on possibly purchasing a 2 or 3 year old OWB. It is a Mahoning model 100, wood or coal, supposed to be rated at 150,000 btu.

The house is currently heated by (mostly) a wood stove, but they have a oil burning furnace with 2 heating zones and a 3rd for DHW.

Any thoughts on this manufacturer or model? I believe the asking price is $3,500

The house is approx 2,000sf, 2 story - I'd assume well insulated, as the 2nd story was recently added. The house is located in Western MA hilltowns.

I know the guy who owns Mahoning because he exhibits his boilers at our show, but I have no idea if it's a good unit or if that's a fair price for a used one.

For that money, I'd want to be pretty confident that it's in good shape. That's hard even with a boiler that looks to be sound--things are not always what they seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.