Possible Red Oak and Shagbark Hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
to not take that wood when it is bucked, free and 15minutes from the stove is bordering on sin!! You would have been grounded from Hearth for at least a week had you not made and attempt.

Nice score!!

Reactions: Soundchasm
Oh man, I've had my wings clipped more than once in my history! It is amazing how much peer pressure can be generated staring at a flat, glowing screen!! :)
I've made three trips. Now I can at least see the workload over there. I'll need a saw and wedges after the next trip. BTW, this stuff is heavy. It is not to be confused with year old ash.

DSCN0382.JPG

this stuff is heavy. It is not to be confused with year old ash.
After you load those, don't forget to pick up your spleen and any vertebrae discs that might have shot out. :eek:

a25705c056e027f1877b785573f84fe7.jpg

Here's a score of red oak i got in June, the big ones weighed about 200 lbs sobbing wet. But when they are round, i can load up a trailer by myself by rolling them. It's the canopy and Y sections i hate dealing with. That's some nice looking wood, i have yet to find already cut wood anywhere. ;)

Reactions: BSH1F
BSH1F, I remember how beautiful that score of yours was. Yard, trees, cribbed stacks, colossal rounds, corn and a REAL HYDRAULIC SPLITTER! 200 lbs is definite vertical splitting territory. Since you guys got me so ate up with this (and you know it's your fault ;-), I got the bathroom scale out there. 80+ lbs on a lot of them.

Woody, I try to be real careful. Bend at the knees and then pull it in tight over my belt buckle. The suction from my belly button does most of the work then...

Reactions: Shawn Curry
I'm new to the forum, but This post makes me quite happy. I'm building a new home on 11.56 acres of 85% hardwood and the two predominant species are white oak and shagbark hickory. Seems like I may have lucked out on my firewood supply. Also, congrats on the haul!
My sister lives in York and her lot is full of oaks and other hardwoods. Love it up there, would like to move up there some day.

Reactions: Joe13
Status
Not open for further replies.