Possible saw rebuild in the works...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stihlmike

Aug 14, 2013
Lilly pa
I just remembered that when I was in high school my dad gave me a small chainsaw, and told me I could have it. I know it should be sitting on my work bench in my shed. I remember the saw was orange in color but do not remember what make it was. I will be checking when I get home to see what it is.

I have been reading through the threads on here about all of the rebuilds and aftermarket stuff you guys do, and am intrigued to no end with these small engines. I must say I have the mechanical ability to match a potatoe. It is kind of annoying and I think this could be a fun way for me to learn about engines and how to fix them. I will post up pictures of the saw... if it is still there.... when I get home. If i rember it was a 14" saw of some sort.

I imagine that if there was gas left in it i could just have a pile of junk, but think it could be a good learning experiment, so if my new saw breaks I may be able to fix it my self. This little saw would not be going to cut fire wood, but could be handy around the house and such.

He is also getting a different saw and giving me his old craftsman saw. It is in working order now so I will have a decent firewood saw as back up as well.

I will post pictures of what it is when I get home. Glad I joined this forum.

That old saw would be good for climbing. The poulan dad is giving you is a rebadged poulan which are almost husky clones. May be a bit wrong there but some are at least the newer o es. I bet that old saw runs. Probably needs a Carb rebuild and new fuel lines but I bet is fine otherwise.

Climbing should read limbing . Stupid auto correct.

Will let you all know soon. I was really pumped to go home and mess with this, then my wife called me and her cell phone died, so now i get to go enjoy a visit at the cell phone company. Some times you just cant win. LOL

The anxiety is killing us.......did you get a look at the saw yet?

lots of different orange saws made over the years......Stihl, Husky, Echo, etc.....how 'bout some pics?

Reactions: NortheastAl
He's not home yet!!! They have to get a cell. You really should have it shipped to your house beats standing in line and dealing with high pressure sales.

Its a STIHL 015 L! Pretty pumped. Only s bit of rust. Chain had no rust and was even a bit sharp. More details and pictures to come tomorow. Typing on my phone is annoying.

Quick facts:
Got it to turn over 2 times and run for about a second or two with a bit if fresh gas.

Think it needs a new plug because would not fire with starting fluid.

It had old gas in it for about 4 years or so.

The pull chord wants to hang out after I pull it.

Any tips for a rookie would be appreciated.

One . NO starting fluid. It washes the oil from the cyl and bearings. Plugs are rarely bad. They only go bad from wearing out. Don't think it wore out sitting there for a few years?. Put a new one if u want there cheap. But I think your problem is a Carb issue. Possibly a rotted fuel line. As to the recoil spring its probably worn out. But you need to take it off and rewind it. Maybe a new spring.

Note taken on the starting fluid.

Here she is on the hood of the firewood truck ;)

Going to try and find the manual tomorrow and start working on it a bit in the morning before I go to work once I get it. I am very busy so it will probably take me a while to get it going. Any guesses on how old she is?

Looked up a few parts on ebay and one of these is going for 250.00 and one still had time left was at 103.50 plus shipping.

Can't see why they would be so expensive if they are older saws? Cant wait to find out more on this saw.

Attachments

• stihl.jpg
    stihl.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 171
  • stihl2.jpg
    stihl2.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 142
Here she is on the hood of the firewood truck ;)

Going to try and find the manual tomorrow and start working on it a bit in the morning before I go to work once I get it. I am very busy so it will probably take me a while to get it going. Any guesses on how old she is?

Nice...very retro looking

1973-1983. Neat little saw. I can see where it could be handy if a tree was down. You could easily walk beside it and trim the small branches to make room for the big boy. I hope I don't develop that CAD syndrome I have been reading about. IF my dad picks up a new back up saw it will be 3 chainsaws in 2 weeks. LOOK OUT. LOL

Ran his craftsman saw this evening. Starting it was a new ball game compared to my ms 230-C with easy start. LOL I guess I am just a wuss. His craftsman is an 18" 40cc. Should do the trick and help give my Stihl a break once in a while. Hope to use it a bit this weekend if he gets his new saw. I also hope my new Stihl is completed tomorrow as well.

My mother works at OLLIES and they are running the Homelite (I think that is the brand) factory refurbished saws for 100 bucks. We get a 20 percent discount on them so my dad wants to pick one up. I never heard of them before but I imagine you get what you pay for. He can fix anything so it really doesn't matter.

Stihls hold value. They are rebuild able.

Dang your "wood truck" is awfully shiny!

Think home lite is also a poulan copy?

Think that 15 is tough try start something bigger as its warm. Something in the 70 class!!

For $80 I might buy one to play too!

The dealership where i bough my new saw is giving me a free spark plug, and free jug of fuel treatement to help me get the 015 L running. Nice of them to help out.

Yea the more I think about it I would spend that mine on a 25" bar and a skip chain for the 390 instead.

Nice! A top-handle saw! Those are incredibly useful, convenient, fast... and a little dangerous. Keep a mental note of what your left hand is doing, while swinging that saw with your right.

I also have a top-handle saw, and use it around the yard more than any of my larger saws.

Try pull starting a warm 064 (85cc) with no compression release! They kick back.

Cool - just picked up the exact same saw last week. Been sitting a while. Tested compression today - came in at 140 - very surprised. Good spark. Started up on the old gas in the saw and ran okay. Not sure if it's oiling, but will find out soon. We can fix these together and keep tabs on how the 015Ls are holding up! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.